node-webkit/nwjs

wildcatcs
We are trying to create a desktop app based upon dojo using nwjs (http://nwjs.io/).

I saw an example out there from 3 years ago (https://github.com/shama/dojo-node-webkit) that had some pointers on getting it running and was wondering if anyone more recently has had any success or could give any pointers on where to get started on porting an existing web app to a desktop hybrid application.

Thanks
Jeff

Re: node-webkit/nwjs

Kenneth G. Franqueiro
I can't point you to node-webkit examples, but in case you are also
potentially interested in Electron, I have a boilerplate for using Dojo
with that:

https://github.com/kfranqueiro/electron-dojo-boilerplate

I also created https://github.com/kfranqueiro/nukebox with Electron +
dojo + dgrid.

I've also done work involving porting a Web application to an Electron
application, and it went about as smoothly as one could have hoped
(bearing in mind the bit of trickery you need to do to get Dojo to load
correctly in the renderer process, which is demonstrated in the two
repos above), though of course mileage may vary depending on application.

--Ken

On 3/23/2016 7:26 PM, Jeff Utton wrote:

> We are trying to create a desktop app based upon dojo using nwjs
> (http://nwjs.io/).
>
> I saw an example out there from 3 years ago
> (https://github.com/shama/dojo-node-webkit) that had some pointers on
> getting it running and was wondering if anyone more recently has had any
> success or could give any pointers on where to get started on porting an
> existing web app to a desktop hybrid application.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

Re: node-webkit/nwjs

Hi Jeff,

I would say most of our attention lately has been on Electron, which is
similar to nwjs. There is
https://github.com/kfranqueiro/electron-dojo-boilerplate , which is a
good starting point for creating Dojo apps inside of Electron.

In my opinion, the architecture of Electron is a bit more coherent than
nwjs. I'm sure Ken and others could elaborate more when they have a moment.

on 3/23/16, 16:26 (GMT-07:00) Jeff Utton said the following:

> We are trying to create a desktop app based upon dojo using nwjs
> (http://nwjs.io/).
>
> I saw an example out there from 3 years ago
> (https://github.com/shama/dojo-node-webkit) that had some pointers on
> getting it running and was wondering if anyone more recently has had any
> success or could give any pointers on where to get started on porting an
> existing web app to a desktop hybrid application.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

Re: node-webkit/nwjs

wildcatcs
Thanks for the pointers. Played with electron today and it does seem to be easier to get going and supports debugging using break points which nwjs does not seem to support in the browser's context.   Maybe I'm missing something but I can't imagine developing a large app without a better debuging environment.

Looks like we'll be sticking with electron.

Thanks again,
Jeff