export filteringtable data to excel format

12

export filteringtable data to excel format

Msangani
Is it possible to export FilteringTable data to Excel format in dojo?

Thanks,
Manish

Re: export filteringtable data to excel format

Andrew Scott-4
The answer is yes it is, but not the way you think.

First of all how are you populating the table? If your pulling this info from a database, why don't you just have a button export to Excel, use the dojo.io.bind to hit the server, create an csv file from the data criteria you used to populate the table with, then return that back through to the browser and then the user can either view it or save it somewhere on the harddrive.

Don't get dojo to do it, just use dojo as the transport.

On 10/25/06, Manish Sangani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to export FilteringTable data to Excel format in dojo?

Thanks,
Manish

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank"> http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook
Dojo-interest@...

Re: export filteringtable data to excel format

José Renato-2
I am guessing but I think that you need a external tool to do that.

Best Regards,
José

Manish Sangani escreveu:

> Is it possible to export FilteringTable data to Excel format in dojo?
>
> Thanks,
> Manish

event object leaking memory

diego scataglini
I am trying to understand this.

I did some testing comparing Dojo, Prototype and YUI event library. YUI's seem the only one that doesn't leak.

I installed the "leak monitor" extension for FF and it seems as the event object doesn't clean after itself on unload.
Even if you look at the given demos in 3.1 or 4 I get the following leaks (pages of it.)

 [ ] prototype (5277788) = [object Object]
[+] [leaked object] (13520628, file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Diego/Desktop/dojo-0.4.0-ajax/dojo.js, 355-357) = function (evt) {
    if (_this[ntf]) {
        _this[ntf](dojo.event.browser.fixEvent(evt, this));

[ ] prototype (39b30f8) = [object Object]
[+] [leaked object] (13eed2a8, file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Diego/Desktop/dojo-0.4.0-ajax/dojo.js, 797-816) = function dj_load_init(e) {
    var _c8 = (e && e.type) ? e.type.toLowerCase() : "load";
    if (arguments.callee.initialized ||
        (_c8 != "domcontentloaded" && _c8 != "load")) {
        return;
    }
    arguments.callee.initialized = true;
    if (typeof (_timer) != "undefined") {
        clearInterval(_timer);
        delete _timer;
    }
    var _c9 = (function () {if (dojo.render.html.ie) {dojo.hostenv.makeWidgets();}});
    if (dojo.hostenv.inFlightCount == 0) {
        _c9();
        dojo.hostenv.modulesLoaded();
    } else {
        dojo.addOnLoad(_c9);
 [ ] initialized = true

I did a small test page and tested it on mac and windows

dojo.event.browser.addListener seems to leak constantly (am I not supposed to use this or I should add a listener to clean up all events on unload)

dojo.event.connect does not on windows and most times on the mac. I guess that this one depends on firefox implementation.

<head>
<title>dojo test</title>
<script src="dojo.js"></script>
<script>
function myalert(e){
    alert(e);
}
</script>
</head>
<script>
dojo.event.browser.addListener(document.getElementById("mydiv"), "click", myalert);
//dojo.event.connect(document.getElementById("mydiv"), "onclick", function(e){myalert(e)});
</script></body>

Re: export filteringtable data to excel format

Tom Trenka
Following up on this...the most useful trick I've learned in terms of "exporting" to Excel is to simply create a simple HTML file with a table in it (no nested tables, and no rowspans or colspans), and simply use HTTP headers to trick the browser into thinking it's an Excel file by using Content-Disposition.

This is, of course, a server-side solution but it is the most effective one (and easiest to do) that I know of.

FilteringTable (and any other data display for that matter) is a *view* of your data, and the view shouldn't be responsible for exporting that kind of data.  Your real question is whether dojo.collections.Store will do that export, and the answer is no--it is simply an accessor model for a complex JSON data structure.

trt

Andrew Scott-4 wrote

On 10/25/06, Manish Sangani <MANISH25@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>  Is it possible to export FilteringTable data to Excel format in dojo?
>
> Thanks,
> Manish

Re: event object leaking memory

Alex Russell
This a FF bug that appears to be fixed in FF 2.0. Given that it'll be
out to users very quickly, it's not worth spending time on.

--
Alex Russell
[hidden email]     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876

Re: export filteringtable data to excel format

Msangani
Tom,
What do you mean by Content-Disposition?

Thanks
Manish

Andrew Scott-4 wrote:

> The answer is yes it is, but not the way you think.
>
> First of all how are you populating the table? If your pulling this info
> from a database, why don't you just have a button export to Excel, use the
> dojo.io.bind to hit the server, create an csv file from the data criteria
> you used to populate the table with, then return that back through to the
> browser and then the user can either view it or save it somewhere on the
> harddrive.
>
> Don't get dojo to do it, just use dojo as the transport.
>

> On 10/25/06, Manish Sangani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Is it possible to export FilteringTable data to Excel format in dojo?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Manish

Re: export filteringtable data to excel format

Jonathan Bond-Caron
Creating as excel file is as easy as returning any valid HTML 4.01
markup (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/):

On the server side (PHP for example):

    header("Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel");
    header('Content-Disposition: inline; filename=example.xls');

You can even use style sheets for styling... For a complete idea of what
you can do... use Excell to create your file, then 'Save As' Web Page...
View the source of the page in a text viewer

jon

Manish Sangani wrote:

> Tom,
> What do you mean by Content-Disposition?
>
> Thanks
> Manish

Just a quick follow up on that:  if you do try to use styling and what not, you *can* use external resources (including images), but they must be absolute URLs (and the viewer in question must be online).

trt

Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote

Manish Sangani wrote:
> Tom,
> What do you mean by Content-Disposition?
>
> Thanks
> Manish

Wong Leh Yung
Hi,

I am interested to know more about the creation of excel format document
by the server mentioned in this email. Can anyone provide a full
example? Maybe using php or Oracle plsql? Thanks.

Sorry if this is off topic.

Tom Trenka wrote:

> Just a quick follow up on that:  if you do try to use styling and what not,
> you *can* use external resources (including images), but they must be
> absolute URLs (and the viewer in question must be online).
>
> trt
>

> Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote:
>
>> Creating as excel file is as easy as returning any valid HTML 4.01
>> markup (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/):

>> On the server side (PHP for example):
>>
>>     header("Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel");
>>     header('Content-Disposition: inline; filename=example.xls');
>>
>> You can even use style sheets for styling... For a complete idea of what
>> you can do... use Excell to create your file, then 'Save As' Web Page...
>> View the source of the page in a text viewer
>>
>> jon
>>
>> Manish Sangani wrote:
>>
>>> Tom,
>>> What do you mean by Content-Disposition?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Manish

Rob Kinyon
On 10/31/06, Wong Leh Yung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested to know more about the creation of excel format document
> by the server mentioned in this email. Can anyone provide a full
> example? Maybe using php or Oracle plsql? Thanks.

MS Excel (and OpenOffice and other similar products) can read an HTML
table as a worksheet. The only "trick" is that you have to tell the
browser that this is an Excel document vs. an HTML document. That's
done in the Content-Disposition header of the response. Instead of the
standard "text/html", you use "application/vnd.ms-excel".

Rob

Re: export filteringtable data to excel format

Wong Leh Yung
Thanks.

Sorry, just want to know more...
Just want to confirm if it is alright to have the following content in
my xls file to have it as a working xls file:

For the headers, I've made something like the following (Oracle pl/sql
codes):

    OWA_UTIL.MIME_HEADER('application/vnd.ms-excel', false);
    htp.p('Content-Disposition: inline; filename=test.xls');
    owa_util.http_header_close;

However, when I tried it, the file will not open on MS Excel Viewer
2003... is it supposed that I should have the full version of the MS
Excel 2003 (which I do not have)?

Thanks.

Rob Kinyon wrote:

> On 10/31/06, Wong Leh Yung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am interested to know more about the creation of excel format document
>> by the server mentioned in this email. Can anyone provide a full
>> example? Maybe using php or Oracle plsql? Thanks.
>
> MS Excel (and OpenOffice and other similar products) can read an HTML
> table as a worksheet. The only "trick" is that you have to tell the
> browser that this is an Excel document vs. an HTML document. That's
> done in the Content-Disposition header of the response. Instead of the
> standard "text/html", you use "application/vnd.ms-excel".
>
> Rob

Re: event object leaking memory

Sanjiv Jivan
Leak Monitor reports a lots of leaks with FF 1.5 and Dojo however no leaks are reported with FF 1.5 and several other Ajax libraries like YUI, gmail etc. Is Dojo going something that these other libraries aren't?

Sanjiv

On 10/25/06, Alex Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> guess that this one depends on firefox implementation.

> <head>
> <title>dojo test</title>
> <script src="dojo.js"></script>
> <script>
> function myalert(e){
>     alert(e);
> }
> </script>
> </head>
> <script>
> dojo.event.browser.addListener (document.getElementById("mydiv"),
> "click", myalert);
> //dojo.event.connect(document.getElementById("mydiv"), "onclick",
> function(e){myalert(e)}); </script></body>

--
Alex Russell
[hidden email]     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876
[hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

Rick Morrison-3
Hi Sanjiv,

Have a look at the thread entitled "dojo.event.disconnectAll proposal" for some ideas on helping with event-related leaks in dojo.

Rick

Dojo FAQ: <a href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook
Dojo-interest@...

Re: event object leaking memory

Andrew Scott-4
I went lookinf fo leak moinitor in the plugins and extensions and couldn't find it. Can someone tell me the exact name or rven a ling please.

Thanks in advance

On 11/12/06, Rick Morrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

[hidden email]     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876
[hidden email]BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank">http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook
Dojo-interest@...

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank">http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook

google

On 11/12/06, Andrew Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Dojo-interest@...

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank">http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook
Dojo-interest@...

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank">http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook

no kidding, there is always one smart arse that points to a damn website again:-)

On 11/12/06, Sanjiv Jivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Dojo-interest@...

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank">http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook
Dojo-interest@...

Dojo FAQ: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ" target="_blank">http://dojo.jot.com/FAQ
Dojo Book: <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBookDojo-interest@dojotoolkit.org" target="_blank">http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/DojoDotBook

Dustin Machi
Strange, searching for "link monitor" is the absolute first response
when you do a google search (in addition to being the subject of every
single page on google's first page of results).  Please take the time to
search before asking on the list.

In order to ensure not having another reponse on this thread which
should have been done several posts ago,

http://www.google.com/search?q=leak+monitor

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2490/

Dustin

Andrew Scott wrote:

> [...]
>                     >  function myalert(e){
>                     >     alert(e);
>                     >  }
>                     >  </script>
>                     >  </head>
>                     >  <body>
>                     >  <div id="mydiv">Test</div>
>                     >  <script>
>                     >  dojo.event.browser.addListener
>                     (document.getElementById("mydiv"),
>                     >  "click", myalert);
>                     >
>                     //dojo.event.connect(document.getElementById("mydiv"),
>                     "onclick",
>                     >  function(e){myalert(e)}); </script></body>
>                     >  </html>
>
>                     --
>                     Alex Russell
>                     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>     A99F
>                     8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876
>                     [hidden email]
>                     <mailto:[hidden email]>BE03 E88D EABB 2116

Dustin, I never tried google. I went straight to the addons for firefox and typed a search there.

Being a little aracastic with my reply, I have it installed now :-) Not sure how to activate or use it as I can't find it in the menus. Bvut will be going back to the website to read up on it.

Andrew Scott wrote:

> [...]
>                     >  function myalert(e){
>                     >     alert(e);
>                     >  }
>                     >  </script>

>                     >  </head>
>                     >  <body>
>                     >  <div id="mydiv">Test</div>
>                     >  <script>
>                     >  dojo.event.browser.addListener
>                     (document.getElementById("mydiv"),
>                     >  "click", myalert);
>                     >
>                     //dojo.event.connect(document.getElementById("mydiv"),
>                     "onclick",
>                     >  function(e){myalert(e)}); </script></body>
>                     >  </html>
>
>                     --
>                     Alex Russell
>                     [hidden email] <mailto: [hidden email]>     A99F
>                     8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876
>                     [hidden email]
>                     <mailto:[hidden email]>BE03 E88D EABB 2116

aaronmevans
As of the version I installed about a month ago, it just popped up
whenever it detected leaks and there was no way to turn it off.  It
got so annoying I eventually uninstalled it...