dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

peter e higgins

I am trying to play with fading of nodes in and out, and started using
dojo.lfx.* ... but the examples page only have lfx.fadeIn and lfx.fadeout ...
the Wiki says dojo.graphics.htmlEffects.fade() is usable, but is unavailable
to me when i dojo.require("dojo.graphics.*") ... i need to fade something to
and from 50%, but "dojo.lfx.html.fade() is not a function"?

any thoughts?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Dustin Machi
You should be able to do something like:

dojo.require("dojo.lfx.*");

dojo.lfx.html.fadeHide(dojo.byId("someDomNodeId"), 300).play();

fadeHide, will set display: none when its done fading so it will not
take up space in the layout.  I think the normal fade has the same syntax.

Dustin

peter e higgins wrote:

> I am trying to play with fading of nodes in and out, and started using
> dojo.lfx.* ... but the examples page only have lfx.fadeIn and lfx.fadeout ...
> the Wiki says dojo.graphics.htmlEffects.fade() is usable, but is unavailable
> to me when i dojo.require("dojo.graphics.*") ... i need to fade something to
> and from 50%, but "dojo.lfx.html.fade() is not a function"?
>
> any thoughts?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

peter e higgins

thats fine, but i actually want the space in the layout to be occupied.
nothing will ever fade out completely, just between 50% and 100% ...
mouseOver==fadein mouseout=fadeout (but only TO 50%) ... i just can find the
fade(node, dur, start_opac, end_opac, cbObj, callback) function anywhere.  is
there an equivalent lfx.* function?

the wiki page:

http://dojo.jot.com/WikiHome/HTMLEffects

says it is in dojo.graphics.htmlEffects, but is not a function.  i'm using
0.3.1 stock for this atm ...

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:13, Dustin Machi wrote:

> You should be able to do something like:
>
> dojo.require("dojo.lfx.*");
>
> dojo.lfx.html.fadeHide(dojo.byId("someDomNodeId"), 300).play();
>
> fadeHide, will set display: none when its done fading so it will not
> take up space in the layout.  I think the normal fade has the same syntax.
>
> Dustin
>
> peter e higgins wrote:
> > I am trying to play with fading of nodes in and out, and started using
> > dojo.lfx.* ... but the examples page only have lfx.fadeIn and lfx.fadeout
> > ... the Wiki says dojo.graphics.htmlEffects.fade() is usable, but is
> > unavailable to me when i dojo.require("dojo.graphics.*") ... i need to
> > fade something to and from 50%, but "dojo.lfx.html.fade() is not a
> > function"?
> >
> > any thoughts?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Dustin Machi

I was thinking it was dojo.lfx.html.fadeOut(domNode, time).play();

The methods are in src/lfx/html.js

Dustin

peter e higgins wrote:

> thats fine, but i actually want the space in the layout to be occupied.
> nothing will ever fade out completely, just between 50% and 100% ...
> mouseOver==fadein mouseout=fadeout (but only TO 50%) ... i just can find the
> fade(node, dur, start_opac, end_opac, cbObj, callback) function anywhere.  is
> there an equivalent lfx.* function?
>

> the wiki page:
>
> http://dojo.jot.com/WikiHome/HTMLEffects
>
> says it is in dojo.graphics.htmlEffects, but is not a function.  i'm using
> 0.3.1 stock for this atm ...
>

> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:13, Dustin Machi wrote:
>> You should be able to do something like:
>>
>> dojo.require("dojo.lfx.*");
>>
>> dojo.lfx.html.fadeHide(dojo.byId("someDomNodeId"), 300).play();
>>
>> fadeHide, will set display: none when its done fading so it will not
>> take up space in the layout.  I think the normal fade has the same syntax.
>>
>> Dustin
>>
>> peter e higgins wrote:
>>> I am trying to play with fading of nodes in and out, and started using
>>> dojo.lfx.* ... but the examples page only have lfx.fadeIn and lfx.fadeout
>>> ... the Wiki says dojo.graphics.htmlEffects.fade() is usable, but is
>>> unavailable to me when i dojo.require("dojo.graphics.*") ... i need to
>>> fade something to and from 50%, but "dojo.lfx.html.fade() is not a
>>> function"?
>>>
>>> any thoughts?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Dustin Machi
well i didn't really put any thought into those parameters, so they're
wrong, but the point is that the methods are in that referenced file.

Dustin

Dustin Machi wrote:

> I was thinking it was dojo.lfx.html.fadeOut(domNode, time).play();
>
> The methods are in src/lfx/html.js
>
> Dustin
>

> peter e higgins wrote:
>> thats fine, but i actually want the space in the layout to be
>> occupied.  nothing will ever fade out completely, just between 50% and
>> 100% ... mouseOver==fadein mouseout=fadeout (but only TO 50%) ... i
>> just can find the fade(node, dur, start_opac, end_opac, cbObj,
>> callback) function anywhere.  is there an equivalent lfx.* function?
>>

>> the wiki page:
>> http://dojo.jot.com/WikiHome/HTMLEffects
>>
>> says it is in dojo.graphics.htmlEffects, but is not a function.  i'm
>> using 0.3.1 stock for this atm ...
>>
>> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:13, Dustin Machi wrote:
>>> You should be able to do something like:
>>>
>>> dojo.require("dojo.lfx.*");
>>>
>>> dojo.lfx.html.fadeHide(dojo.byId("someDomNodeId"), 300).play();
>>>
>>> fadeHide, will set display: none when its done fading so it will not
>>> take up space in the layout.  I think the normal fade has the same
>>> syntax.
>>>
>>> Dustin

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

peter e higgins

thanks for your help dmachi, but:

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:59, Dustin Machi wrote:
> I was thinking it was dojo.lfx.html.fadeOut(domNode, time).play();

it is, but that goes from 100% -> 0%, fadeHide goes from 100% -> display:none;

i am looking for [what the wiki claims to exists] fade() ... so i can
set the target and orig opacity ... i did, however, find in src/fx/html.js
the fade function i think i am seeking, but every other time some mentions
some about fx, the response is "use lfx" ... seems this one function didn't
migrate into lfx package ... i will attempt to use dojo.require('dojo.fx.*')
and see if my fade method is a function then.

> The methods are in src/lfx/html.js

fadeIn, Out, slideTo, highlight, unhighlight, and more ... but no fade
function with params for start and stop opacity. again, the standalone
fade(to->from) function seems to not migrated from fx -> lfx ...

regards.

> Dustin
>
> peter e higgins wrote:
> > thats fine, but i actually want the space in the layout to be occupied.
> > nothing will ever fade out completely, just between 50% and 100% ...
> > mouseOver==fadein mouseout=fadeout (but only TO 50%) ... i just can find
> > the fade(node, dur, start_opac, end_opac, cbObj, callback) function
> > anywhere.  is there an equivalent lfx.* function?
> >

> > the wiki page:
> >
> > http://dojo.jot.com/WikiHome/HTMLEffects
> >
> > says it is in dojo.graphics.htmlEffects, but is not a function.  i'm
> > using 0.3.1 stock for this atm ...
> >
> > On Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:13, Dustin Machi wrote:
> >> You should be able to do something like:
> >>
> >> dojo.require("dojo.lfx.*");
> >>
> >> dojo.lfx.html.fadeHide(dojo.byId("someDomNodeId"), 300).play();
> >>
> >> fadeHide, will set display: none when its done fading so it will not
> >> take up space in the layout.  I think the normal fade has the same
> >> syntax.
> >>
> >> Dustin

---
you can't have everything, where would you put it?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

peter e higgins

dustin:

> i am looking for [what the wiki claims to exists] fade() ... so i can
> set the target and orig opacity ... i did, however, find in src/fx/html.js
> the fade function i think i am seeking, but every other time some mentions
> some about fx, the response is "use lfx" ... seems this one function didn't
> migrate into lfx package ... i will attempt to use
> dojo.require('dojo.fx.*') and see if my fade method is a function then.

okay, i quickly tested it, and now it works as expected. the fade() function
simply isn't in the lfx package, and changing the require to dojo.fx.*
instead fixes the problem ...

perhaps one should port the fade function over to the new lfx package? or is
this the intended behavior?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

iTorrey
Administrator
It's there

dojo.lfx.html.fadeOut('fadeElm', 300).play())

See

http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/lfx/test_lfx.html

peter e higgins wrote:

> dustin:
>
>> i am looking for [what the wiki claims to exists] fade() ... so i can
>> set the target and orig opacity ... i did, however, find in src/fx/html.js
>> the fade function i think i am seeking, but every other time some mentions
>> some about fx, the response is "use lfx" ... seems this one function didn't
>> migrate into lfx package ... i will attempt to use
>> dojo.require('dojo.fx.*') and see if my fade method is a function then.
>
> okay, i quickly tested it, and now it works as expected. the fade() function
> simply isn't in the lfx package, and changing the require to dojo.fx.*
> instead fixes the problem ...
>
> perhaps one should port the fade function over to the new lfx package? or is
> this the intended behavior?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Dustin Machi
he only wants to fade a little bit though :P

Torrey Rice wrote:

> It's there
>
> dojo.lfx.html.fadeOut('fadeElm', 300).play())
>
> See
>
> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/lfx/test_lfx.html
>
> peter e higgins wrote:
>> dustin:
>>
>>> i am looking for [what the wiki claims to exists] fade() ... so i can
>>> set the target and orig opacity ... i did, however, find in src/fx/html.js
>>> the fade function i think i am seeking, but every other time some mentions
>>> some about fx, the response is "use lfx" ... seems this one function didn't
>>> migrate into lfx package ... i will attempt to use
>>> dojo.require('dojo.fx.*') and see if my fade method is a function then.
>> okay, i quickly tested it, and now it works as expected. the fade() function
>> simply isn't in the lfx package, and changing the require to dojo.fx.*
>> instead fixes the problem ...
>>
>> perhaps one should port the fade function over to the new lfx package? or is
>> this the intended behavior?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

peter e higgins

surly i don't have to sign a CLA to get this merged into /src/lfx/html.js?
i just copy/pasted the fadeIn function, gave it a couple extra parameters, and
set the start and end opacity to reflect the parameters in
propertyAnimation ...

wouldn't eliminating fadeIn and fadeOut and using *just* fade be much more
efficient?

regardless, this fixes my lack of fade() function in lfx, and rids me the
message about FX going away in 0.4 when i switched to fx.

---[snip]---

dojo.lfx.html.fadeToFrom = function(nodes, duration, startOpac, endOpac,
easing, callback){
        nodes = dojo.lfx.html._byId(nodes);
        dojo.lfx.html._makeFadeable(nodes);
        var anim = dojo.lfx.propertyAnimation(nodes, [
                { property: "opacity",
                        start: startOpac,
                        end: endOpac } ], duration, easing);
        if(callback){
                var oldOnEnd = (anim["onEnd"]) ? dojo.lang.hitch(anim, "onEnd") : function(
{};
                anim.onEnd = function(){ oldOnEnd(); callback(nodes, anim); };
        }

        return anim;
}

so a simple

img id="foo0"
onMouseOut="javascript:void(dojo.lfx.html.fadeToFrom('foo0',300,1,0.5).play())"
onMouseOver="javascript:void(dojo.lfx.html.fadeToFrom('foo0',300,0.5,1).play())"
src="imagefilename.png" alt="my image" />

works now (for me at least).

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 14:43, Dustin Machi wrote:

> he only wants to fade a little bit though :P
>
> Torrey Rice wrote:
> > It's there
> >
> > dojo.lfx.html.fadeOut('fadeElm', 300).play())
> >
> > See
> >
> > http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/lfx/test_lfx.html
> >
> > peter e higgins wrote:
> >> dustin:
> >>
> >> okay, i quickly tested it, and now it works as expected. the fade()
> >> function simply isn't in the lfx package, and changing the require to
> >> dojo.fx.* instead fixes the problem ...
> >>
> >> perhaps one should port the fade function over to the new lfx package?
> >> or is this the intended behavior?

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

peter e higgins
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 14:43, Dustin Machi wrote:
> he only wants to fade a little bit though :P

absolutely right, and the test of this function exists at:

http://dojo.inpdx.net/tests/fadex.html

i may or may not make a menu5 widget [just to mess up the convention] to have
a flash-style onHover navigation menu, as an example ...

on the page, the opacity is set to .2 in a onLoad function [which prevents a
stange 100% -> 20% blink], then fades in on a hover, out on a mouseOut
event ...

a small bug would be that if you mouseOut before the animation is complete,
then it jumps to the fadeOut [basically] routine at whatever opacity the
*WAS* rather than *WHERE* it was at the time of the new routine.

maybe a fadeTo function to automagically fade something from it's set opacity
-> it's new opacity would be a keen new idea ... en la futura! {??}

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Tom Trenka
Unfortunately you do need to file a CLA for one of the committers to even look at your patch.  I'm sorry...but there's waaaay too much "you stole my code" kinds of things out there and while we don't like being super paranoid, based on past experience we feel we don't have a choice.

Outside of that...it does seem like a cycling fade with specific opacities (or even cycling colors) would be a good thing to add to lfx, so...I'll talk to Bryan and see if he can add it.

Bear in mind that dojo.graphics/dojo.fx will probably be removed within the next few releases (if not the next release).

trt

peter e higgins wrote

On Saturday 29 July 2006 17:27, Tom Trenka wrote:
> Unfortunately you do need to file a CLA for one of the committers to even
> look at your patch.  I'm sorry...but there's waaaay too much "you stole my
> code" kinds of things out there and while we don't like being super
> paranoid, based on past experience we feel we don't have a choice.

which is understandable, but i personally feel it is such a trivial kind of
"duh, how did we forget that?" kind of patch that was originally in the
source, and didn't get migrated from fx -> lfx ... an on top of that, *I
STOLE THE CODE* from the function directly below it fadeOut/fadeIn, adding
two parameters to set startOpac and endOpac ... surely a committer could
[without ever having looked at my function] figure out what needs to happen
to make it work, and would bet it would look 99.9% similar.

> Outside of that...it does seem like a cycling fade with specific opacities
> (or even cycling colors) would be a good thing to add to lfx, so...I'll
> talk to Bryan and see if he can add it.

as stated above, it is [to me] a big "dohhh!" that it was overlooked. it's
more of a common sense thing than me being some fabulous coder who wants his
code committed to the source tree ... which i'm not, btw. but i will fill out
a CLA anyway, just at _this point_ it seems excessive to me.

> Bear in mind that dojo.graphics/dojo.fx will probably be removed within the
> next few releases (if not the next release).

oh i realize that, it's all being migrated into lfx.* ... which is smart, i
just found that fx has fade() and lfx does not.  no sense using something
with depreciation notices all over.

i also noticed animation chains simply don't work as expected.

and as a newbie question [if you've made it this far in the email], would it
be possible to do two [or more] animation techniques simultaneously? eg-> a
slide/fade animation "chain", where not only does it slide the element but it
fades it as well, but not "sequentially"?

regards.

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Dustin Machi
> and as a newbie question [if you've made it this far in the email], would it
> be possible to do two [or more] animation techniques simultaneously? eg-> a
> slide/fade animation "chain", where not only does it slide the element but it
> fades it as well, but not "sequentially"?

chain() is in serial, and combine() is in parallel.

Dustin

On Sunday 30 July 2006 12:49, Dustin Machi wrote:
> > and as a newbie question [if you've made it this far in the email], would
> > it be possible to do two [or more] animation techniques simultaneously?
> > eg-> a slide/fade animation "chain", where not only does it slide the
> > element but it fades it as well, but not "sequentially"?
>
> chain() is in serial, and combine() is in parallel.

perfecto!  thanks.

but does combine work as well as chain()? seems to be broken in svn.
testcase:  http://dojo.inpdx.net/tests/chp2.html

the chain method (wiwo()) doesn't set n.innerHTML, the fadeReplace function
does, however, via dojo.io.bind() ...

Re: dojo.lfx and/or dojo.graphics?

Karl Tiedt
you also have animateProperty or was it propertyAnimation() function
that lets you animate more than 1 property of an object at a time.....