cursor: hand

Bill Keese-2
Some of the dojo code uses "cursor: hand" or "_cursor: hand", and
firefox 1.5 complains about the first one; I think this is some legacy
code that was probably necessary for an old version of IE? Can I just
replace "cursor: hand" with the official "cursor: pointer"?

Re: cursor: hand

Karl Guertin
IE 5.0 and 5.5 don't recognize 'cursor: pointer' and must have
'cursor: hand' to do the same thing. It depends on whether you prefer
compatibility or perfect standards compliance.

On 12/5/05, Bill Keese <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some of the dojo code uses "cursor: hand" or "_cursor: hand", and
> firefox 1.5 complains about the first one; I think this is some legacy
> code that was probably necessary for an old version of IE? Can I just
> replace "cursor: hand" with the official "cursor: pointer"?

Re: cursor: hand

Martin Cooper-3

On 12/5/05, Karl Guertin <[hidden email]> wrote:
IE 5.0 and 5.5 don't recognize 'cursor: pointer' and must have
'cursor: hand' to do the same thing.

So having this:

cursor: pointer;
_cursor: hand;

should satisfy both, right?

--
Martin Cooper

On 12/5/05, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  cursor: pointer;
>  _cursor: hand;

Looks like it, I had forgotten about IE ignoring the leading underscore.

Re: cursor: hand

David Schontzler
Best. CSS. Hack. Ever.

(Disclaimer: I'm responsible for that code.)

-d

On 12/5/05, Karl Guertin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/5/05, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  cursor: pointer;
> >  _cursor: hand;
>
> Looks like it, I had forgotten about IE ignoring the leading underscore.

Re: cursor: hand

Bill Keese-2
Unfortunately FF1.5 complains about _cursor too.

Error: Unknown property '_cursor'.  Declaration dropped.
Source file: http://localhost/dojo/src/widget/templates/HtmlMenu2.css
Line: 109

(I changed "cursor: hand" to "_cursor: hand" and then ran test_menu2.css.)

Is dojo supposed to support IE5.5?

Martin Cooper wrote:

> On 12/5/05, *Karl Guertin* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     IE 5.0 and 5.5 don't recognize 'cursor: pointer' and must have
>     'cursor: hand' to do the same thing.
>

> So having this:
>
> cursor: pointer;
> _cursor: hand;
>
> should satisfy both, right?
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>     It depends on whether you prefer
>     compatibility or perfect standards compliance.
>

>     On 12/5/05, Bill Keese <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     > Some of the dojo code uses "cursor: hand" or "_cursor: hand", and
>     > firefox 1.5 complains about the first one; I think this is some
>     legacy
>     > code that was probably necessary for an old version of IE? Can I
>     just
>     > replace "cursor: hand" with the official "cursor: pointer"?

Re: cursor: hand

CrisP
Bill Keese wrote:

> Unfortunately FF1.5 complains about _cursor too.
>
> Error: Unknown property '_cursor'.  Declaration dropped.
> Source file: http://localhost/dojo/src/widget/templates/HtmlMenu2.css
> Line: 109

The classic technique is to supply a CSS declaration with both cursor:
hand and cursor:pointer.  I don't know how FF1.5 feels about this.  One
source I saw claimed that the order matters to some browsers, but I
haven't noticed an issue with that.

Cheers,
Cris

Re: cursor: hand

iTorrey
Administrator
The order does matter at least it did in FF 1.0

If you set cursor:pointer and then cursor:hand IIRC FireFox overrides the valid pointer with the invalid hand and then
nothing but the regular mouse shows up.

If you set cursor:hand and then cursor:pointer IE wont recognize pointer and seems to fall back on hand, so you get that
nice hand in both browsers.

I'm still a little mystified as to why we get CSS errors in the _javascript_ console in FF 1.5. It's quite annoying
however there is an extension which lets you target specific files errors from the js console which comes in pretty
handy when debugging and you can (I believe) set it to *.js and only see javascript errors.

Cris Perdue wrote:

> Bill Keese wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately FF1.5 complains about _cursor too.
>>
>> Error: Unknown property '_cursor'.  Declaration dropped.
>> Source file: http://localhost/dojo/src/widget/templates/HtmlMenu2.css
>> Line: 109
>

> The classic technique is to supply a CSS declaration with both cursor:
> hand and cursor:pointer.  I don't know how FF1.5 feels about this.  One
> source I saw claimed that the order matters to some browsers, but I
> haven't noticed an issue with that.
>
> Cheers,
> Cris

Re: cursor: hand

Karl Guertin
On 12/7/05, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still a little mystified as to why we get CSS errors in the _javascript_ console in FF 1.5. It's quite annoying...

The reason is actually pretty straightforward. During the Moz dev day
2004, a presenter (from the mozilla evang team, but I've forgotten the
name) demo'd that you could have css errors and other non javascript
problems show up in the js console and you could get it by adding a
flag and custom-compiling FFx.

Everybody thought this was pretty cool, since it's always nice to have
more info when debugging a problem and there really wasn't a problem
with it being in the js console since this was dev day. It seems as
though they finally added the switch to the main build but didn't
think that it would be a problem for css issues to show up in the
console. As to why this is, I wasn't privy to the decisionmaking
process there.

There are other useful things squirreled away in the code but not
present in the UI. One example is javascript stack traces. They're in
the js engine and you can access/print them from within the
interpreter but they don't show up in the js console (where they'd
actually be useful) because nobody has written the xpcom wrapper
necessary to access the engine from the chrome. As to why I don't do
it: I never hacked anything below the chrome and I'm no longer
actively contributing to mozilla.

Regards,
Karl

Regards,