WebSockets/CometD and DOJO

Harry Devine

At my job, we use mostly Linux servers.  We have them all configured to use a centralized log server so they are all in one place.  While looking for web tools, we didn't find anything that stuck out, so we're considering writing our own using Dojo and dGrid.  Seems like a good fit.

What I'm trying to find out is if it would be useful/helpful to use WebSockets to have the main log server talk to our application and have the applications data updated automatically using Observable or something like that.  I found dojox/socket, but it says its been abandoned in the documentation.

Everything I've read about WebSockets suggests using a cometd server, but I've been reading up on it, and it seems REALLY difficult and complex to set up.

So, if you were in my position, what steps or approaches would you recommend that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Harry

Re: WebSockets/CometD and DOJO

Edwin De La Cruz

El 29/3/2017 14:29, "Harry Devine" <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

I am use socketio on side client and server.

Re: WebSockets/CometD and DOJO

Rob Gillan-3
Harry,
We were using dojox/socket and cometd years back. Once rfc compliant websockets got baked into the browsers it's really straightforward to use natively.  If you are just going server to server then we use node-web socket and node.js. Socket.io in my opinion is great when you need older browser support as it falls back gracefully, but for simple log message passing/collation I'd go for one of the rfc compliant node modules that support both client and server
Cheers
Rob

[...]

Do you have any samples or examples I could look at?  Everything I've read seems very complicated  & difficult to start with.

Thanks,
Harry

Sent from my iPhone