Quantcast

Using Dojo's new flat theme

Ron M

I am a bit puzzled on how to integrate the new flat theme with our application. It looks like there are two ways to go because the flat theme from GitHub is definitely different than the one provided with the latest version of Dojo.

For example, if I download the version from Esri (https://github.com/Esri/dojo-theme-flat), then I see that the dgrid folder has several files for dgrid extensions that the documentation below says is necessary to include in your site. And even more surprisingly, the Stylus variables file (https://github.com/Esri/dojo-theme-flat/blob/master/STYLUS/variables.styl ) defines its own colors.

If I then download the full source zip file for Dojo 1.11.1 (https://dojotoolkit.org/download/), I see that the dgrid folder has just a flat.css file that does not contain anything related to dgrid extensions. And then the Stylus variables file imports colors from "variables_material_colors" and references those rather than defining their own colors.

There may be other differences too, but those are the ones I see straight away. So if our app uses dgrid and its extensions, it appears that we should not use the flat theme distributed with Dojo. Is that choice a good one to use the Esri version rather than the Dojo version? I assume any bugs in the flat theme will be fixed in both places, but just seems strange that the theme would vary in such a basic way as how to define its colors? If I don't use the Dojo version, will I miss anything?

So before I go any further, I just want to make sure I am understanding it all correctly and don't make the wrong choice.

Thanks,

Ron

Re: Using Dojo's new flat theme

dylanks
The colors are inherited from the base theme and there is no need to define separate colors for dgrid as it is attempting to match the base theme.

I thought the flat.css file just included the rules for the extensions as the rules are pretty minimal (I'll take a look when I have a chance). If not, then it should be pretty easy to fix. Alternatively, it should be pretty easy to take the base dgrid stylus rules and customize them to match your customizations of the flat theme.

Dylan Schiemann
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 14, 2016, at 12:19, Ronald MacCracken <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Kenneth G. Franqueiro
I'm not sure what the deal is with the styles in the old Esri
dojo-theme-flat repo.  It looks like they're entirely
replicating/replacing all of dgrid's styles rather than just overriding
what's necessary.  The flat styles for dgrid in dojo/themes only define
colors; the rest is expected to be included via dgrid.css, as opposed to
the old Esri repo which appears to redefine everything itself for some
reason.

It's probably also worth noting that prior to dgrid 1.0, dgrid didn't
use a preprocessor for its CSS.  The single flat.styl in the dojo/themes
repo is taking advantage of dgrid 1.0's usage of Stylus and defining
variables that dgrid's skin.styl creates styles for automatically.

--Ken

On 6/14/2016 3:19 PM, Ronald MacCracken wrote:

> I am a bit puzzled on how to integrate the new flat theme with our
> application. It looks like there are two ways to go because the flat
> theme from GitHub is definitely different than the one provided with the
> latest version of Dojo.
>

> For example, if I download the version from Esri
> (https://github.com/Esri/dojo-theme-flat), then I see that the dgrid
> folder has several files for dgrid extensions that the documentation
> below says is necessary to include in your site. And even more
> surprisingly, the Stylus variables file
> (https://github.com/Esri/dojo-theme-flat/blob/master/STYLUS/variables.styl
> ) defines its own colors.
>

> If I then download the full source zip file for Dojo 1.11.1
> (https://dojotoolkit.org/download/), I see that the dgrid folder has
> just a flat.css file that does not contain anything related to dgrid
> extensions. And then the Stylus variables file imports colors from
> "variables_material_colors" and references those rather than defining
> their own colors.
>

> There may be other differences too, but those are the ones I see
> straight away. So if our app uses dgrid and its extensions, it appears
> that we should not use the flat theme distributed with Dojo. Is that
> choice a good one to use the Esri version rather than the Dojo version?
> I assume any bugs in the flat theme will be fixed in both places, but
> just seems strange that the theme would vary in such a basic way as how
> to define its colors? If I don't use the Dojo version, will I miss anything?
>

> So before I go any further, I just want to make sure I am understanding
> it all correctly and don't make the wrong choice.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Re: Using Dojo's new flat theme

Ron M
So from Ken's response, it sounds like the Esri dojo-theme-flat repo is old and should not be used - is that correct? Instead we should go with the Dojo one, and any fixes to it will come in future releases to Dojo?

I do believe the dgrid extensions are missing, or at least there is quite a lot more in the Esri repo than what is in dgrid/flat.css.

On our todo list is to migrate to dgrid 1.0 - it sounds like we really need to get on that to make sure the flat theme works well.

Thanks,
Ron

I'm not sure what the deal is with the styles in the old Esri dojo-theme-flat repo.  It looks like they're entirely replicating/replacing all of dgrid's styles rather than just overriding what's necessary.  The flat styles for dgrid in dojo/themes only define colors; the rest is expected to be included via dgrid.css, as opposed to the old Esri repo which appears to redefine everything itself for some reason.

It's probably also worth noting that prior to dgrid 1.0, dgrid didn't use a preprocessor for its CSS.  The single flat.styl in the dojo/themes repo is taking advantage of dgrid 1.0's usage of Stylus and defining variables that dgrid's skin.styl creates styles for automatically.

--Ken

On 6/14/2016 3:19 PM, Ronald MacCracken wrote:

> I am a bit puzzled on how to integrate the new flat theme with our
> application. It looks like there are two ways to go because the flat
> theme from GitHub is definitely different than the one provided with
> the latest version of Dojo.
>

> For example, if I download the version from Esri
> (https://github.com/Esri/dojo-theme-flat), then I see that the dgrid
> folder has several files for dgrid extensions that the documentation
> below says is necessary to include in your site. And even more
> surprisingly, the Stylus variables file
> (https://github.com/Esri/dojo-theme-flat/blob/master/STYLUS/variables.
> styl
> ) defines its own colors.
>

> If I then download the full source zip file for Dojo 1.11.1
> (https://dojotoolkit.org/download/), I see that the dgrid folder has
> just a flat.css file that does not contain anything related to dgrid
> extensions. And then the Stylus variables file imports colors from
> "variables_material_colors" and references those rather than defining
> their own colors.
>

> There may be other differences too, but those are the ones I see
> straight away. So if our app uses dgrid and its extensions, it appears
> that we should not use the flat theme distributed with Dojo. Is that
> choice a good one to use the Esri version rather than the Dojo version?
> I assume any bugs in the flat theme will be fixed in both places, but
> just seems strange that the theme would vary in such a basic way as
> how to define its colors? If I don't use the Dojo version, will I miss anything?
>

> So before I go any further, I just want to make sure I am
> understanding it all correctly and don't make the wrong choice.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Re: Using Dojo's new flat theme

Kenneth G. Franqueiro
Yes, there is "a lot more" in the esri repo - but if you
compare/contrast against what's already in *dgrid's* repo, you'll notice
a lot looks similar/redundant - which is why I don't know why it's in
the esri repo, though I only took a quick glance so I'm not sure what
they might've intentionally changed.

dgrid/css/dgrid.css will already give you all of the structural styles
for all components in 1.0, then flat.css will give you the skin.  If you
want to pick and choose only the parts of dgrid's structural styles you
need, its Stylus files are split mostly by component.

--Ken

On 6/15/2016 8:15 PM, Ronald MacCracken wrote:

> So from Ken's response, it sounds like the Esri dojo-theme-flat repo is old and should not be used - is that correct? Instead we should go with the Dojo one, and any fixes to it will come in future releases to Dojo?
>
> I do believe the dgrid extensions are missing, or at least there is quite a lot more in the Esri repo than what is in dgrid/flat.css.
>
> On our todo list is to migrate to dgrid 1.0 - it sounds like we really need to get on that to make sure the flat theme works well.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Ok - I'll go with the Dojo version and try to upgrade dgrid ASAP.

Thanks again,
Ron

Yes, there is "a lot more" in the esri repo - but if you compare/contrast against what's already in *dgrid's* repo, you'll notice a lot looks similar/redundant - which is why I don't know why it's in the esri repo, though I only took a quick glance so I'm not sure what they might've intentionally changed.

dgrid/css/dgrid.css will already give you all of the structural styles for all components in 1.0, then flat.css will give you the skin.  If you want to pick and choose only the parts of dgrid's structural styles you need, its Stylus files are split mostly by component.

--Ken

On 6/15/2016 8:15 PM, Ronald MacCracken wrote:

> So from Ken's response, it sounds like the Esri dojo-theme-flat repo is old and should not be used - is that correct? Instead we should go with the Dojo one, and any fixes to it will come in future releases to Dojo?
>
> I do believe the dgrid extensions are missing, or at least there is quite a lot more in the Esri repo than what is in dgrid/flat.css.
>
> On our todo list is to migrate to dgrid 1.0 - it sounds like we really need to get on that to make sure the flat theme works well.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

If you're already on 0.4, generally the only breaking change between
that and 1.x is that you have to include dgrid.css yourself, because 1.0
no longer uses xstyle which would load it for you.

--Ken

On 6/15/2016 8:29 PM, Ronald MacCracken wrote:

> Ok - I'll go with the Dojo version and try to upgrade dgrid ASAP.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ron

Unfortunately not even to 0.4 yet - still in the 0.3.x range. So need to figure out dstore as well.

If you're already on 0.4, generally the only breaking change between that and 1.x is that you have to include dgrid.css yourself, because 1.0 no longer uses xstyle which would load it for you.

--Ken

On 6/15/2016 8:29 PM, Ronald MacCracken wrote:

> Ok - I'll go with the Dojo version and try to upgrade dgrid ASAP.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ron

I think that's because the Esri version matched the very old 0.3 structure. With the CSS cleanup for 1.x, as Ken noted, the themes are structured much more efficiently.