Re: High volume. Forums?

Martin Cooper-3
FYI, I've added the Dojo Interest list to Nabble. See:

http://www.nabble.com/Dojo-f13676.html

--
Martin Cooper

On 12/5/05, Tom Trenka <[hidden email]> wrote:
+25 :)  Personally I prefer the forum format anyways, but we've got some hardcore mailing list loving peoples here...iirc at one point we were planning on making a forum/mailing list sync type of thing but like anyone has the time to do it...

On 12/4/05, David Schontzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/4/05, Patrick Lightbody <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, well if you guys want, I can set it up at OpenSymphony for a
> "test drive". How is that?

+1

> On Dec 4, 2005, at 4:22 PM, David Schontzler wrote:
>
> > I'm all for dojo interest becoming available as both a forum and
> > mailing list. I don't really have any cycles to donate to the cause,
> > but just giving mey +1.

> >> same. The Jive Forums is like a real user forum.
> >>
> >>  Have you tried Nabble? That seems much closer.

> >> from which chat transcripts are automatically added to the forum
> >> (and the
> >> mailing list). It's about the best user / framework communication
> >> suite I've
> >> seen.
> >>
> >>  Sounds interesting. The problem with IRC / chat, though, is that
> >> it's not
> >> inclusive, especially as the project grows and draws people from
> >> all over
> >> the world. In Struts, for example, we've consciously stayed away
> >> from IRC
> >> because of that.
> >>
> >>  Not trying to convince anyone, just throwing in my 2 cents. ;-)
> >>
> >>  --
> >>  Martin Cooper

> >> the browser or a news reader. See:

Re: High volume. Forums?

David Schontzler
Looks interesting. Cool.

One Q though... can you only send messages if you are part of the
list? Cuz I'd like to unsubscribe from the list (or at least stop the
emails) and move to the forum. Maybe listserv has a don't-mail-me
option?

On 12/5/05, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI, I've added the Dojo Interest list to Nabble. See:
>
>  http://www.nabble.com/Dojo-f13676.html
>
>  --
>  Martin Cooper
>

> On 12/5/05, Tom Trenka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +25 :)  Personally I prefer the forum format anyways, but we've got some
> planning on making a forum/mailing list sync type of thing but like anyone
> has the time to do it...

> > > +1

> IMO.

> OpenSymphony's

Re: High volume. Forums?

Karl Tiedt
Weekly or daily "digest" (I forget if its daily or weekly it only
offers one option) emails are an option... 1 vs 50....

On 12/6/05, David Schontzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks interesting. Cool.
>
> One Q though... can you only send messages if you are part of the
> list? Cuz I'd like to unsubscribe from the list (or at least stop the
> emails) and move to the forum. Maybe listserv has a don't-mail-me
> option?
>
> On 12/5/05, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > FYI, I've added the Dojo Interest list to Nabble. See:
> >
> >  http://www.nabble.com/Dojo-f13676.html
> >
> >  --
> >  Martin Cooper
> >

> > On 12/5/05, Tom Trenka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > +25 :)  Personally I prefer the forum format anyways, but we've got some
> > planning on making a forum/mailing list sync type of thing but like anyone
> > has the time to do it...

> > IMO.

> > OpenSymphony's

Re: High volume. Forums?

Patrick Lightbody
I'll have this set up tonight or tomorrow. Definitely you won't need
to be subscribed.

On Dec 5, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Karl Tiedt wrote:

> Weekly or daily "digest" (I forget if its daily or weekly it only
> offers one option) emails are an option... 1 vs 50....
>
> On 12/6/05, David Schontzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looks interesting. Cool.
>>
>> One Q though... can you only send messages if you are part of the
>> list? Cuz I'd like to unsubscribe from the list (or at least stop the
>> emails) and move to the forum. Maybe listserv has a don't-mail-me
>> option?
>>
>> On 12/5/05, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> FYI, I've added the Dojo Interest list to Nabble. See:
>>>
>>>  http://www.nabble.com/Dojo-f13676.html
>>>
>>>  --
>>>  Martin Cooper

>>> hardcore mailing list loving peoples here...iirc at one point we
>>> were
>>> planning on making a forum/mailing list sync type of thing but
>>> like anyone
>>> has the time to do it...

>>> IMO.

>>> OpenSymphony's

> -Karl Tiedt

Re: High volume. Forums?

Martin Cooper-3

On 12/5/05, David Schontzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks interesting. Cool.

One Q though... can you only send messages if you are part of the
list? Cuz I'd like to unsubscribe from the list (or at least stop the
emails) and move to the forum. Maybe listserv has a don't-mail-me
option?

You need to register with Nabble before you can post (so that your posts come from you ;), but you don't need to be subscribed to the mailing list.

--
Martin Cooper

On 12/5/05, Martin Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI, I've added the Dojo Interest list to Nabble. See:
>
>  http://www.nabble.com/Dojo-f13676.html
>
>  --
>  Martin Cooper
>

> On 12/5/05, Tom Trenka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +25 :)  Personally I prefer the forum format anyways, but we've got some
> planning on making a forum/mailing list sync type of thing but like anyone
> has the time to do it...

> > > +1

> IMO.

> OpenSymphony's

Re: High volume. Forums?

Alex Russell
Hey Patrick,

If the offer's still open, can we cash in on it? If only to try it out?
Having talked it over with Dylan more, I'm more convinced that forums
with distinct topics and sections would help reduce noise on the lists.

Regards

On Sunday 04 December 2005 10:31 am, Patrick Lightbody wrote:

> This mailing list has become pretty high volume. Any thoughts on
> providing forums as an alternative interface in to the same list? For
> example, at OpenSymphony all projects have mailing lists (users and
> dev) and each list is synced up with a forum. So posting in one place
> ensures it ends up in the other. It works out quite nicely.
>
> If you guys would be interested, I could host it on OpenSymphony's
> site using Jive Forums... or perhaps we could get you a Forums
> license to host it yourself.

Alex Russell
[hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723
[hidden email]  F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46

Re: High volume. Forums?

Dylan Schiemann-2

Re: High volume. Forums?

Bob Ippolito
Is that a good thing?  I'm unlikely to pay attention to anything that
doesn't hit the lists, for example... It's so much more effort to go
to a site and check for new messages than to let them come to your
mailbox.

I'm guessing that the people complaining about list traffic just
aren't using mail rules to sort them into folders.

-bob

On Dec 9, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Alex Russell wrote:

> If the offer's still open, can we cash in on it? If only to try it
> out?
> Having talked it over with Dylan more, I'm more convinced that forums
> with distinct topics and sections would help reduce noise on the
> lists.
>
> On Sunday 04 December 2005 10:31 am, Patrick Lightbody wrote:
>> This mailing list has become pretty high volume. Any thoughts on
>> providing forums as an alternative interface in to the same list? For
>> example, at OpenSymphony all projects have mailing lists (users and
>> dev) and each list is synced up with a forum. So posting in one place
>> ensures it ends up in the other. It works out quite nicely.
>>
>> If you guys would be interested, I could host it on OpenSymphony's
>> site using Jive Forums... or perhaps we could get you a Forums
>> license to host it yourself.

Re: High volume. Forums?

Bill Keese-2
Yeah, I also prefer mail to website.  I'm also unlikely to read stuff if
I have to remember to login to a website and check for new messages.  I
guess there would be an RSS feed, but don't you still have to use the
website in order to post messages?   Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Should the mailing list be split into dojo-user and dojo-developer?
That's the way apache does it.

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Is that a good thing?  I'm unlikely to pay attention to anything that
> doesn't hit the lists, for example... It's so much more effort to go to
> a site and check for new messages than to let them come to your mailbox.
>
> I'm guessing that the people complaining about list traffic just aren't
> using mail rules to sort them into folders.
>
> -bob
>
> On Dec 9, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
>
>> If the offer's still open, can we cash in on it? If only to try it out?
>> Having talked it over with Dylan more, I'm more convinced that forums
>> with distinct topics and sections would help reduce noise on the lists.
>>
>> On Sunday 04 December 2005 10:31 am, Patrick Lightbody wrote:
>>> This mailing list has become pretty high volume. Any thoughts on
>>> providing forums as an alternative interface in to the same list? For
>>> example, at OpenSymphony all projects have mailing lists (users and
>>> dev) and each list is synced up with a forum. So posting in one place
>>> ensures it ends up in the other. It works out quite nicely.
>>>
>>> If you guys would be interested, I could host it on OpenSymphony's
>>> site using Jive Forums... or perhaps we could get you a Forums
>>> license to host it yourself.

Re: High volume. Forums?

iTorrey
Administrator
There already is a dojo-developer and user :)

I kinda like forums but I also agree that I often don't post to them
because I have to login and I don't feel like doing that. Then I realize
I'm being lazy but by then I'm already off reading digg.

I personally just have all my messages go right into a Dojo Interest
folder using mail rules so it's not a big deal that they are high
volume. The only thing that makes it a little noisy is that there might
be 15 replies to the same topic so I have to scroll up to see the other
topics and it's hard to follow a thread but then I guess I could turn on
threading.. so nevermind on that ;)

Torrey

Bill Keese wrote:

> Yeah, I also prefer mail to website.  I'm also unlikely to read stuff
> if I have to remember to login to a website and check for new
> messages.  I guess there would be an RSS feed, but don't you still
> have to use the website in order to post messages?   Perhaps I'm
> misunderstanding.
>
> Should the mailing list be split into dojo-user and dojo-developer?
> That's the way apache does it.
>
> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> Is that a good thing?  I'm unlikely to pay attention to anything that
>> doesn't hit the lists, for example... It's so much more effort to go
>> to a site and check for new messages than to let them come to your
>> mailbox.
>>
>> I'm guessing that the people complaining about list traffic just
>> aren't using mail rules to sort them into folders.
>>
>> -bob
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
>>
>>> If the offer's still open, can we cash in on it? If only to try it out?
>>> Having talked it over with Dylan more, I'm more convinced that forums
>>> with distinct topics and sections would help reduce noise on the lists.

Re: High volume. Forums?

Karl Tiedt
Gmail makes it all nice.. very seldom does it not auto matically
thread emails into the right thread.... it doesnt have folders... but
it certainly doesnt get clutered.... and I'm a member of a much busier
mailling list than Dojo's on top of that... Anyone wanting to try it
is welcome to an invite (i think they even opened it up to register on
your own now but invites just make it 10x easier)

On 12/10/05, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There already is a dojo-developer and user :)
>
> I kinda like forums but I also agree that I often don't post to them
> because I have to login and I don't feel like doing that. Then I realize
> I'm being lazy but by then I'm already off reading digg.
>
> I personally just have all my messages go right into a Dojo Interest
> folder using mail rules so it's not a big deal that they are high
> volume. The only thing that makes it a little noisy is that there might
> be 15 replies to the same topic so I have to scroll up to see the other
> topics and it's hard to follow a thread but then I guess I could turn on
> threading.. so nevermind on that ;)
>
> Torrey
>
> Bill Keese wrote:
> > Yeah, I also prefer mail to website.  I'm also unlikely to read stuff
> > if I have to remember to login to a website and check for new
> > messages.  I guess there would be an RSS feed, but don't you still
> > have to use the website in order to post messages?   Perhaps I'm
> > misunderstanding.
> >
> > Should the mailing list be split into dojo-user and dojo-developer?
> > That's the way apache does it.
> >
> > Bob Ippolito wrote:
> >> Is that a good thing?  I'm unlikely to pay attention to anything that
> >> doesn't hit the lists, for example... It's so much more effort to go
> >> to a site and check for new messages than to let them come to your
> >> mailbox.
> >>
> >> I'm guessing that the people complaining about list traffic just
> >> aren't using mail rules to sort them into folders.
> >>
> >> -bob

Re: High volume. Forums?

Martin Cooper-3

On 12/9/05, Karl Tiedt <[hidden email] > wrote:
Gmail makes it all nice.. very seldom does it not auto matically
thread emails into the right thread.... it doesnt have folders... but
it certainly doesnt get clutered.... and I'm a member of a much busier
mailling list than Dojo's on top of that...

I can second that. I use Gmail for all my technical mailing lists. I have 50+ filters set up, and I don't know how many labels. I'm up to 623MB of mail now, so it's great having Google's search capabilties to help me find stuff. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Anyone wanting to try it
is welcome to an invite (i think they even opened it up to register on
your own now but invites just make it 10x easier)

On 12/10/05, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There already is a dojo-developer and user :)
>
> I kinda like forums but I also agree that I often don't post to them
> because I have to login and I don't feel like doing that. Then I realize
> I'm being lazy but by then I'm already off reading digg.
>
> I personally just have all my messages go right into a Dojo Interest
> folder using mail rules so it's not a big deal that they are high
> volume. The only thing that makes it a little noisy is that there might
> be 15 replies to the same topic so I have to scroll up to see the other
> topics and it's hard to follow a thread but then I guess I could turn on
> threading.. so nevermind on that ;)
>
> Torrey
>
> Bill Keese wrote:
> > Yeah, I also prefer mail to website.  I'm also unlikely to read stuff
> > if I have to remember to login to a website and check for new
> > messages.  I guess there would be an RSS feed, but don't you still
> > have to use the website in order to post messages?   Perhaps I'm
> > misunderstanding.
> >
> > Should the mailing list be split into dojo-user and dojo-developer?
> > That's the way apache does it.
> >
> > Bob Ippolito wrote:
> >> Is that a good thing?  I'm unlikely to pay attention to anything that
> >> doesn't hit the lists, for example... It's so much more effort to go
> >> to a site and check for new messages than to let them come to your

> >> mailbox.
> >>
> >> I'm guessing that the people complaining about list traffic just
> >> aren't using mail rules to sort them into folders.
> >>
> >> -bob

Re: High volume. Forums?

Patrick Lightbody
Ugg, people! Read the original email I posted! :)

The forums would _sync_ with the mailing list. You can choose either
option!

To answer Alex's question. Yes, the offer is of course open. I'll
work on it this weekend. Link to follow when it works.

Patrick