New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Adnan
Hi All

This is my first message to Dojo-interest group, so I hope everyone is doing great,

Just wanted to share with you a new theme for Dojo that I've been building for the last few weeks, called Semantic Dojo.


It's built on Semantic UI framework so all the implemented Dijit widgets inherit styles from their Semantic UI counterparts if any. 

Semantic Dojo uses a powerful build system based on LESS that makes building themes for Dijit widgets easy. It's based on Semantic UI LESS build process, that's why Stylus was not used.

Check the theme out here, and get in touch if you have any questions.

Many thanks,

Adnan Sagar, PhD

--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

dojovader
One word, WOW ! this is just amazing, am still in shock this is dijit, this is actually much modern, nice work, will use this for a project. Thanks for the Good work
"Everybody Lies"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

ole ersoy
I agree - Very impressive.

Cheers,
- Ole

On 08/31/2015 08:37 AM, dojovader wrote:

> One word, WOW ! this is just amazing, am still in shock this is dijit, this
> is actually much modern, nice work, will use this for a project. Thanks for
> the Good work
>
>
>
> -----
> "Everybody Lies"
> --
> View this message in context: http://dojo-toolkit.33424.n3.nabble.com/New-Dojo-theme-Semantic-Dojo-tp4006378p4006385.html
> Sent from the Dojo Toolkit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Kitson Kelly
Very very good and quite impressive!

On 31 August 2015 at 16:08, Ole Ersoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree - Very impressive.

Cheers,
- Ole

On 08/31/2015 08:37 AM, dojovader wrote:
> One word, WOW ! this is just amazing, am still in shock this is dijit, this
> is actually much modern, nice work, will use this for a project. Thanks for
> the Good work
>
>
>
> -----
> "Everybody Lies"
> --
> View this message in context: http://dojo-toolkit.33424.n3.nabble.com/New-Dojo-theme-Semantic-Dojo-tp4006378p4006385.html
> Sent from the Dojo Toolkit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest


--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Mr T
In reply to this post by Adnan
First, awesome job on the theme.

However, the issue with using dojo widgets, however awesome the theme is, is that they have a HUGE footprint on the dom.

Take a look at even the simplest of widgets and you'll see an incredible footprint on the dom, with tables and tds galore even for such a trivial thing as a textbox.

Now, I understand the IE < 9 issues that forced the dojo developers many years ago to go that route, however that's just unacceptable in 2015 to continue this way.

Even though I love dojo and have worked with it for many years, I no longer use it because the cost of using it is very high.

Even though dojo is "free", anyone who has worked with it on a enterprise level knows that's not true. The problem is not the costs associated with using dojo as a platform, the problem is the inconsistencies over the years in having a clear picture where dojo is going.

Major shifts and changes to the platform have cost companies a lot of money.

I hope all this changes with dojo 2.0. Until then, I see no point in messing with the digit library. It's simply old and unreasonable to use in 2015.

Good job on the theme though.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Karl Tiedt
@ "Mr T": 95% of that really should have just been left out, blasting the Dijit Widget system because it made promises long ago to support OLD browsers is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. With 2.0 we will be dropping a lot of old cruft due to being able to break our backwards compatibility 'contract' with our users since 2.0 will be a major revision vs a minor revision. Please don't [attempt to] hi-jack threads in such a manner.

@ Adnan: Impressive work there are a few UX nit picks that could be made (but this could also be due to a very basic demo page) so I will not go into them here unless you are looking for more serious feedback on the theme itself.

 

-Karl Tiedt

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Mr T <[hidden email]> wrote:
First, awesome job on the theme.

However, the issue with using dojo widgets, however awesome the theme is, is
that they have a HUGE footprint on the dom.

Take a look at even the simplest of widgets and you'll see an incredible
footprint on the dom, with tables and tds galore even for such a trivial
thing as a textbox.

Now, I understand the IE < 9 issues that forced the dojo developers many
years ago to go that route, however that's just unacceptable in 2015 to
continue this way.

Even though I love dojo and have worked with it for many years, I no longer
use it because the cost of using it is very high.

Even though dojo is "free", anyone who has worked with it on a enterprise
level knows that's not true. The problem is not the costs associated with
using dojo as a platform, the problem is the inconsistencies over the years
in having a clear picture where dojo is going.

Major shifts and changes to the platform have cost companies a lot of money.

I hope all this changes with dojo 2.0. Until then, I see no point in messing
with the digit library. It's simply old and unreasonable to use in 2015.

Good job on the theme though.



--
View this message in context: http://dojo-toolkit.33424.n3.nabble.com/New-Dojo-theme-Semantic-Dojo-tp4006378p4006388.html
Sent from the Dojo Toolkit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest


--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Mr T
Karl,

There is no attempt to hi-jack the thread. It was simply an observation related to the subject at hand.

Sorry if it sounded that way, it was not meant as a way to "blast" anything, it's simply an observation.

It appears to have hit a hot button, but again the goal is to make things better, not blast anyone's work.

What I said about dijit stands, if there was any misrepresentation on the actual facts, please state them, otherwise you need to apologize for your tone.

My comment was very simple: a great theme as awesome as it is, will not cover for the flaws or using dijit in 2015. That's all. Anyone that has experience with the dijit library knows that what I'm saying is true.

If you have any reasons to believe that any companies should be using the dijit library with dojo 1.x in 2015 and not wait for dojo 2.0 and new templating system, I would love to hear them.

But again, I digress, this isn't meant to start a fight, however for the sake of the truth, acknowledging the shortcomings of dijit in 1.x is not a criticism or negating the work that was done, it's simply an observation to hopefully turn things around in 2.0.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Adnan
In reply to this post by Karl Tiedt
First, thanks everyone for your feedback, very much appreciated, ..

@ Karl Tiedt, .. would love to hear your feedback, ... this is a very much early work in progress and would definitely use all feedback ..
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Karl Tiedt
Just a quick review of it, the things I see which could be potential problems, mostly taking into consideration keyboard navigation and A11Y for vision problems.

Major:
   1) Keyboard focus is non existent on everything except the inputs/textareas (some (maybe 4) of the slider color bars get a bit darker on focus but that's it)
      a) Event pressing ENTER/Space does not trigger a state change on the buttons visually
      b) Focus for inputs just being a darker single px border is hard to follow too if using keyboard to walk through the form elements.

    2) It appears the drag handles for the textareas get a standard arrow cursor which doesnt make them stand out (looks like maybe not stylable in this case though?)

Minor:
    1) the 3 gray states for the buttons mouseover/clicked/normal are awfully close together (being tired, its actually a bit difficult to tell them apart easily)

-Karl Tiedt

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM, Adnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
First, thanks everyone for your feedback, very much appreciated, ..

@ Karl Tiedt, .. would love to hear your feedback, ... this is a very much
early work in progress and would definitely use all feedback ..




--
View this message in context: http://dojo-toolkit.33424.n3.nabble.com/New-Dojo-theme-Semantic-Dojo-tp4006378p4006421.html
Sent from the Dojo Toolkit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest


--
Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/

[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, visit: http://mail.dojotoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/dojo-interest
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Dojo theme, .. Semantic Dojo.

Adnan
Thanks @Karl, really great points/observations,

The initial goal of this project was to build Dojo themes on top Semantic UI styles. Essentially, putting in place the building processes to facilitate the inheritance of styles from Semantic UI so they can work side-by-side.

If we take the Button widget for example, Semantic-Dojo has done very little to style it since all is left to Semantic UI classes, 'ui button'. However, like you pointed out, this left out many important cases (pressing Enter/Space) that needs to be covered / corrected.

Other comments, Major/1-b, M/2 and Minor/1 are inherent issues from Semantic-UI, but can surely be addressed too,

Would be great if you can create an issue for this (to get the ball rolling), but I'll surely keep these comments in and make changes accordingly ..