Material Design - inspired theme

123

Material Design - inspired theme

dandv
I'm new to Dojo, and evaluating it for use in a Google project. At a first glance, it seems very powerful, but the design looks dated, even in the only flat theme without gradients - http://download.dojotoolkit.org/release-1.10.3/dojo-release-1.10.3/dijit/themes/themeTester.html?theme=nihilo

Unlike Kendo UI (which has a great-looking Material Design theme, http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/themebuilder/) or DHTMLX or Webix, Dojo is completely open-sourced, with no commercial components. This gives it an important advantage. However, the design leaves a lot to be desired.

Creating a theme inspired by the Google Material Design would give Dojo a huge boost, in my opinion.
If God is good, why do 26000 children die each day?

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

dylanks
I agree, it's something I've wanted to see for a while. There have been
some third party efforts to create various versions of bootstrap on top
of Dijit.

It's something I would like us to work on for Dojo 1.11, though others
would prefer to wait until Dojo 2 to not lose focus on getting that
released this year.

on 1/6/15, 22:03 (GMT-07:00) dandv said the following:

> I'm new to Dojo, and evaluating it for use in a Google project. At a first
> glance, it seems very powerful, but the design looks dated, even in the only
> flat theme without gradients -
> http://download.dojotoolkit.org/release-1.10.3/dojo-release-1.10.3/dijit/themes/themeTester.html?theme=nihilo
>
> Unlike Kendo UI (which has a great-looking Material Design theme,
> http://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/themebuilder/) or DHTMLX or Webix, Dojo is
> completely open-sourced, with no commercial components. This gives it an
> important advantage. However, the design leaves a lot to be desired.
>
> Creating a theme inspired by the Google Material Design would give Dojo a
> huge boost, in my opinion.
>

> -----
> If God is good, why do 26000 children die each day?

Dylan Schiemann
SitePen, Inc.
Dojo workshops in the US, Canada, and Europe:
http://www.sitepen.com/workshops/
SitePen Insider: http://sitepen.com/insider/
http://www.sitepen.com/

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

Keith
I vote for 1.11. I am having a hard time convincing my team to stick to Dojo over jQuery because the themes are outdated.

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

dojovader
It's something i've often thought about however like Dylan mentioned Dijit 2.0 would be totally different so  it might be tricky creating a theme for something that will be replaced. however I think a Flat design won't be bad I really wanted to try it out sadly no time and all. but won't that mean altering the templates for each Widgets or it's just the LESS we get to edit ?
"Everybody Lies"

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

nobody, just like you
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

dojovader
Hmmmm so meaning the preferable choice would be to wait for Dijit 2.0

However I will give it a go and see how much I can customize it, for Dojo Non 2.0 we will just have to settle with icons as images, my only question of concern is ;

Assuming am on I.E 7 or anything is there an alternative class to provide to use images as backup for example using CSS3 Rules for button assuming am using a non-CSS3 browser is there a way to create a fallback class for the Button using images.

"Everybody Lies"

WOW :) Thanks alot you have really set the journey for me to start. am much more familiar with LESS than Stylus i have already forked it will play around and reply here. Thanks for your effort.
"Everybody Lies"

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

Ali Gangji
@mc007 I'm not sure what you mean. It will work with any themes which are in LESS themselves. You can include all the less files together and override variables, etc..

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:08 AM, mc007 <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Ali Gangji: does that will work with stock bootstrap themes? doesn't look
like, so for me its still the same ball-park like the stylus version, just
that you'r using LESS, which is good.

-----
PHP based file manager powered by Dojo toolkit

Ali Gangji

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

dojovader
Some issues i notice 1. There was no complie.js in the folder however no issue 2. Also i tried compiling but got issues with rules like this:
.dbootstrap .dijitCalendarIncrementControl:before{
 *&:extend(.dijitIcon:before);
}
Where i marked the star is the culprit seems like a space issue. I am using less 2.1.1 on a Windows Machine
"Everybody Lies"

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

Stylus has a much better track record the LESS in terms of not having
really difficult to work with bugs, which is why we created the very
literal https://github.com/kfranqueiro/dijit-claro-stylus

I would expect Dijit 2 to not use LESS, so if people are interested in
something for 1.11, I suggest working with Stylus. The time it takes to
understand Stylus if you already understand LESS is very minimal.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

jrkeller
mc007 wrote
i've done a 'neutralized' claro theme, almost complete and works out of the box with jQuery (not bootstrap) themes which you can modify with jQuery-Theme-Roller, you test it here http://pearls-media.com:89, that gives you around 15 themes, still not great compared to stock bootstrap themes but way better than the original claro, if somebody wants it, let me know, i will have to clean it up a little (its here : https://github.com/mc007/xjs/tree/dgrid_update/src/xfileTheme but as said, it needs some instructions and cleanup). it also supports and uses icon fonts (font-awesome/elusive,...) so the footprint is quite small as well.
I'd be very interested in seeing the neutral claro theme.  Your link (http://pearls-media.com:89) doesn't seem to work for me though.

there is also dbootstrap, https://github.com/martinpengellyphillips/dbootstrap, unfortunately you can't load stock bootstrap themes with that as the author preferred to make it incompatible to LESS (uses stylus).
I'm not sure it's a LESS vs. Stylus problem. From what I see, the Dojo Bootstrap theme doesn't produce Bootstrap classes, e.g. "navbar", "dropdown". How difficult would it be to output those? If it's easy enough, then there is a Bootstrap Material Design theme on GitHub, https://github.com/FezVrasta/bootstrap-material-design, which looks very nice and is a drop-in over any Bootstrap page.

@ali Not sure if you have compiled this to a Dojo theme from your less code because it fails to compile

@dylank yeah you mentioned something like that on dote about getting it hard to fix bugs on LESS. that's another CSS preprocessor to learn, am looking at Stylus will prob commit this week to it and mess around with the dboostrap.

@mc007 Bootstrap Variables.less are totally different from Dojo Classes just like dandv mentioned so it would be extreme to easily port Bootstrap themes to Dijit with additional modifications.
"Everybody Lies"

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Material Design - inspired theme

It's not really fair to say that we were exotic, given that Dijit
existed about 4 years before Bootstrap was a thing.

With dgrid, we originally tried supporting the class names found in
jquery themeroller, but it was far too limited to actually effectively
style a grid (I think there were a total of five classes defined by
themeroller).

Earlier versions of Bootstrap had a very tight coupling between the
styles and widgets. Version 3 does seem to have at least separated the
CSS from default widget implementations, and so this is the approach
that IBM has taken with delite/deliteful (their initial work on a web
components based Dijit + dojox/mobile replacement).

I'm not convinced that default bootstrap themes are easier to support,
than a well-documented stylus file and a simple UI to specify custom
colors and styles. I certainly would not want to have to support LESS
any longer if possible.