Is OpenRecord still under active development?

Is OpenRecord still under active development?

Ged Byrne
I've downloaded OpenRecord from the SVN, and it has blown me away.  If
not quite web 3.0 it is definately Web 2.1 ;-D.

Theres a screen of OpenRecord here: http://openrecord.org/screencast.html

Sadly, it doesn't look to be under active development.  For example,
the online demos are dated 2005 and don't work.

Please tell me that somebody is still working on it.

Thanks,

Ged Byrne.

Re: Is OpenRecord still under active development?

Brian Douglas Skinner-2
Hi Ged,

Yes, we are still actively working on OpenRecord.  Thanks for the
encouraging mail!

We do plan to update the online demos, but first we need to re-architect
some of the code.  Unfortunately, we've been making slow progress
lately.  Over the past year lots of people have contributed to the
project in different ways, but for the past few months we've only had a
two people regularly working on the project, and only for one or two
days a week.

Thanks to Google's "Summer of Code" funding, this summer we have one
more developer working on OpenRecord, and working on it full-time.
He'll be working on plugins for bar charts, scatter plots, Gantt charts,
and pivot tables.

Let me know if you're interested in working on OpenRecord -- it would be
great to get more people involved!

:o) Brian

Ged Byrne wrote:

> I've downloaded OpenRecord from the SVN, and it has blown me away.  If
> not quite web 3.0 it is definately Web 2.1 ;-D.
>
> Theres a screen of OpenRecord here: http://openrecord.org/screencast.html
>
> Sadly, it doesn't look to be under active development.  For example,
> the online demos are dated 2005 and don't work.
>
> Please tell me that somebody is still working on it.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Ged Byrne.

Re: Is OpenRecord still under active development?

Ged Byrne
Brian,

That is fantastic news.

Gantt charts and pivot tables!  Droool.  :-D

I'm afraid I don't have any time to contribute to the actual project,
but I would like work on a Java backing store for the application.

The read me in the model folder is useful, but is there anything more
on how to implement a server side backing store?  Should I just use
the PHP scripts as a reference implementation?

Does OpenRecord have it's own mailing list, or should I used this list
for any quesitons?

Ged.

Ged Byrne wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't have any time to contribute to the
> actual project, but I would like work on a Java backing
> store for the application.

That would be great!

> Does OpenRecord have it's own mailing list, or should I
> use this list for any quesitons?

Yes, OpenRecord does have its own mailing list:

More info here:
   http://openrecord.org/dev.html

> The read me in the model folder is useful, but is there
> anything more on how to implement a server side backing
> store?  Should I just use the PHP scripts as a reference
> implementation?

Like the rest of the Dojo code, the OpenRecord code isn't well
documented yet.  Using the PHP scripts as a reference is a good idea --
the PHP scripts actually do very little of the work, so I imagine you'll
be able to easily replicate them Java, and from there you can start
making improvements.  It would be great to do a re-write with more of an
eye towards security -- potential security holes are one of the things
that's been keeping us from posting an up to date demo.

Here's an old post to the openrecord-dev list that talks about how we
currently do client/server communication.  You might find it useful.  It
also talks about some proposed backing store alternatives which we were
considering at the time.  Now we're leaning more towards using an RDF
datastore, but we haven't yet started working on that, so our options
are still open:
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/openrecord-dev/2005-October/000248.html

:o) Brian

Re: Is OpenRecord still under active development?

Ged Byrne
Brian,

Thanks for the extra info.

If I have any more questions I'll submit them on OpenRecord list.

Ged.

On 6/3/06, Brian Douglas Skinner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ged Byrne wrote:
> > I'm afraid I don't have any time to contribute to the
> > actual project, but I would like work on a Java backing
> > store for the application.
>
> That would be great!

Re: Is OpenRecord still under active development?

SeanZhao
There is a new released pure javascript pivot table and pivot chart component at webpivottable.com, its fully mimic microsoft excel pivot table but totally web based. It can easily to be integrated into any web application.

It's totally free for non-commercial public website and public web application.