How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?

How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?

lazaridis_com
I am new to dojo and I try to get an quick overview about the dojo toolkit. I noticed that the foundation has many other projects.

http://dojofoundation.org/projects/

Is there any overview (if possible graphical) that shows how those projects interrelate?

I understand that the dojo-toolkit is the central project, thus I would like to see something like this:

(note: this list is most possibly incorrect)
* dojo-toolkit interfaces by DWR to an java server
* dojo-toolkit is extended by cometID for bidirectional event handling to an python/java/perl event server
* dojo-toolkit (GUI Widgets) is used by General Interface (in addition to its own GUI Widgets)
* dojo.toolkit contains Sizzle (???)
* dojo.toolkit is enhanced by OPENCOWEB (for cooperative applications)
* ...

Can someone who is more familiar with those project possibly provide a complete list?

Re: How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?

Karl Tiedt
Dojo is dojo, while some additional foundation projects may be
complementary to or based on Dojo, a project of the Dojo Foundation
does not necessitate any direct relation to Dojo Toolkit. The
foundations goal is to promote quality open source projects.

As to the surprised question about Sizzle, yes, it was applied and
accepted as a Dojo Foundation project.

2011/4/19 Karl Tiedt <[hidden email]>
Dojo is dojo, while some additional foundation projects may be
complementary to or based on Dojo, a project of the Dojo Foundation
does not necessitate any direct relation to Dojo Toolkit. The
foundations goal is to promote quality open source projects.

As to the surprised question about Sizzle, yes, it was applied and
accepted as a Dojo Foundation project.

I've understood those general elaborations -  but I'm asking for a concrete compact list which gives me an overview of relations (or non-relations). I hope someone has the concrete answer (or a pointer to the information).

"Can someone who is more familiar with those project possibly provide a
complete list?"

Re: How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?

Peter Higgins
As Karl stated, all projects are autonomous. The Dojo Foundation was
setup to own the rights to the Dojo Toolkit. Much like the Apache
Foundation "owns" Apache and a number of other
related/unrelated/semireleated projects.

DWR is a Java framework. It can communicate with Dojo. "It's just
JavaScript"
CometD is a bidirectional message delivery system. It has JavaScript
clients (officially) for Dojo and jQuery.
GI is a set of UI widgets. Tibco made it.
Sizzle is a query selector engine, written by John Resig and lives under
the Dojo Foundation. Sizzle is a build option for Dojo, should you want
to use Sizzle as the query() engine in Dojo.

Dojo Foundation is simply a legal umbrella for [un|semi]related
projects. Nothing more. There was talk about renaming it to "OpenWeb
Foundation" or some other such to avoid this confusion, but we already
had all the forms in place and legal stuff setup to be called "Dojo
Foundation". Again, see: Apache

hth

~phiggins

On 4/19/11 1:43 AM, lazaridis_com wrote:

> I am new to dojo and I try to get an quick overview about the dojo toolkit. I
> noticed that the foundation has many other projects.
>
> http://dojofoundation.org/projects/
>
> Is there any overview (if possible graphical) that shows how those projects
> interrelate?
>
> I understand that the dojo-toolkit is the central project, thus I would like
> to see something like this:
>
> (note: this list is most possibly incorrect)
> * dojo-toolkit interfaces by DWR to an java server
> * dojo-toolkit is extended by cometID for bidirectional event handling to an
> python/java/perl event server
> * dojo-toolkit (GUI Widgets) is used by General Interface (in addition to
> its own GUI Widgets)
> * dojo.toolkit contains Sizzle (???)
> * dojo.toolkit is enhanced by OPENCOWEB (for cooperative applications)
> * ...
>
> Can someone who is more familiar with those project possibly provide a
> complete list?

Re: How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?

dylanks

To build on what Peter and Karl said, each project is mostly autonomous.
http://dojofoundation.org/about/structure contains more details.

Dojo Toolkit was the first project to join and is the namesake for the
foundation.

CometD is a Comet server (Jetty) with a general JavaScript client and
Dojo and jQuery specific clients. It also hosts the Bayeux protocol.

DWR is a Java framework and there's a Dojo data store for simplifying
integrations. There's also a Bayeux adapter.

Persevere is server-side JavaScript Middleware that works on top of
Node.js or Narwhal+Jack. It shares share similar approaches to data with
Dojo.

OpenCoWeb builds on top of CometD (or Tornado for Python users) with
Bayeux, and Dojo.

EmbedJS is a mobile toolkit that is a derivative work of Dojo.

Wink Toolkit is a mobile toolkit that has its own code base, but applies
some Dojo principals (and recently added a Claro theme inspired by
Dojo's Dijit).

Maqetta is an HTML5/JavaScript UI creation tool that's built with Dojo.

General Interface was started by TIBCO and has a lot of built-in support
and/or extensions that use Dojo (particularly Dijit and DojoX).

Sizzle is a selector engine used in jQuery (and is a build option in
Dojo, though Dojo has its own Acme selector engine that's the current
default).

AnimeJ is a stand-alone animation library.

Lucid Desktop is a web-based desktop package that uses Dojo.

RequireJS is a module loading framework that support CommonJS AMD. It's
derivative work from the original Dojo module loading system.

Zazl provides a bunch of interesting server-side options (like DTL, but
not in Django or Dojo).

Regards,
- -Dylan

2011/4/19 dylanks [via Dojo Toolkit] <[hidden email]>

To build on what Peter and Karl said, each project is mostly autonomous.
http://dojofoundation.org/about/structure contains more details.

Dojo Toolkit was the first project to join and is the namesake for the
foundation.

[I think I've got the "big picture". I've placed some comments and categorized your writings. I'm not sure if I got everything right, but this is mostly to demonstrate the kind of the overview that I'm missing on the website.]

Projects of the Dojo Foundation are independent and equally weighted. As Dojo was the initial project, the interrelations of the projects are shown based on dojo, giving this way an architectural overview of the tools:

dojo.toolkit - A static website can become more dynamic, using the tiny 31kb dojo.base. Then you can add UI, grids, trees and charting. Finally you _can_ go on with the other Dojo Foundation Tools to build UI's within IDE's and to add server-side functionality. You're not bound to those tools, but you can use them of course.

The following list shows how the Dojo Foundations Projects relate to Dojo and to each other.

.

UI Tools/Products build with Dojo

Maqetta is an HTML5/JavaScript UI creation tool that's built with Dojo.

General Interface was started by TIBCO and has a lot of built-in support
and/or extensions that use Dojo (particularly Dijit and DojoX).

Lucid Desktop is a web-based desktop package that uses Dojo.

Server-Side Tools/Products, with special support for Dojo

Persevere is server-side JavaScript Middleware that works on top of
Node.js or Narwhal+Jack. It shares share similar approaches to data with
Dojo.

CometD is a Comet server (Jetty) with a general JavaScript client and
Dojo and jQuery specific clients. It also hosts the Bayeux protocol.

OpenCoWeb builds on top of CometD (or Tornado for Python users) with
Bayeux, and Dojo.

DWR is a Java framework and there's a Dojo data store for simplifying
integrations. There's also a Bayeux adapter.

Derivatives (of Dojo or part's of it)

EmbedJS is a mobile toolkit that is a derivative work of Dojo.

RequireJS is a module loading framework that support CommonJS AMD. It's
derivative work from the original Dojo module loading system.

Alternatives (for Dojo or part's of it)

Sizzle is a selector engine used in jQuery (and is a build option in
Dojo, though Dojo has its own Acme selector engine that's the current
default).

Stand-Alone Tools, independent of Dojo

To unsubscribe from How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?, click here.

Re: How do the Dojo Foundation Projects relate to the dojo toolkit?

lazaridis_com
I've moved this to an issue:

http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/12742