Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

Gavin Henry-2
Dear List,

Quite new to Javascript in general, but love all the stuff in dojo.

Can you guys/gals recommmend a good js book for me?

Many thanks,

Gavin.

--
Walking the road to enlightenment... I found a penguin and a camel on the
way..... Fancy a [hidden email]? Just ask!!!

Re: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

Martijn Dashorst
I'm not sure I'm an expert, but I just ordered and used 'Professional JavaScript for web developers' by Zakas.

It is very comprehensive, and should help you solve many common problems associated with cross browser development.

Martijn

On 2/20/06, Gavin Henry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear List,

Quite new to Javascript in general, but love all the stuff in dojo.

Can you guys/gals recommmend a good js book for me?

Many thanks,

Gavin.

--
Walking the road to enlightenment... I found a penguin and a camel on the
way..... Fancy a [hidden email]? Just ask!!!
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=386673

Living a wicket life...

Martijn Dashorst - http://www.jroller.com/page/dashorst

Wicket 1.1.1 is out: http://wicket.sourceforge.net/wicket-1.1

Re: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

helios87654
The definitive book is Javascript: The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596000480/sr=8-1/qid=1140460593/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8028614-2219913?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It is by far the best book out there right now, with the most comprehensive reference as well as being *accurate*...the majority of JS books out there are ok but they tend to have inaccuracies, and they tend to be written from a very specific viewpoint--with no real neutrality as to other applications of the language.  For instance, you'll see a number of new books out there that preach "degradable coding practices", which in itself isn't a bad concept but has nothing to do with the language itself.

trt

Re: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

Geoff Stearns
I think he's just about done (if not already) with the 5th edition of
this book, too. should be pretty good.

Tom Trenka wrote:

> The definitive book is Javascript: The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596000480/sr=8-1/qid=1140460593/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8028614-2219913?%5Fencoding=UTF8
>
> It is by far the best book out there right now, with the most comprehensive reference as well as being *accurate*...the majority of JS books out there are ok but they tend to have inaccuracies, and they tend to be written from a very specific viewpoint--with no real neutrality as to other applications of the language.  For instance, you'll see a number of new books out there that preach "degradable coding practices", which in itself isn't a bad concept but has nothing to do with the language itself.
>
> trt

RE: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

John Li-2
It's slated to come out in June 06.  See:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript5/

I'd also be interested in seeing what other books
dojo users/authors recommend.

> I think he's just about done (if not already) with the 5th edition of
> this book, too. should be pretty good.
>

> > The definitive book is Javascript: The Definitive Guide by
> David Flanagan.
> >

> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596000480/sr=8-1/qid=1140460
593/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8028614-2219913?%5Fencoding=UTF8

> > It is by far the best book out there right now, with the most comprehensive reference as well as being *accurate*...the majority of JS books out there are ok but they tend to have inaccuracies, and they tend to be written from a very specific viewpoint--with no real neutrality as to other applications of the language.  For instance, you'll see a number of new books out there that preach "degradable coding practices", which in itself isn't a bad concept but has nothing to do with the language itself.

>>> Quite new to Javascript in general, but love all the stuff in dojo.
>>> Can you guys/gals recommmend a good js book for me?

Re: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

Wayne Douglas
John Li wrote:
> It's slated to come out in June 06.  See:
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript5/
>[...]

Don't know if anyone has already suggested it but this is a v. good DOM
  scripting book from a man who pushes the unobtrusive scripting angle:

By Jeremy Kieth:

http://tinyurl.com/mobv8

He's from my home town of Brighton too (as well as Ireland)!!!

HTH

:)

w.//

RE: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

Jeff Papineau
I have really come to love "Ajax in Action".

It has a great deal of information about modern Ajax architecture (MVC
on client) and it also has all the great JS techniques that took me many
years to learn...

Jeff-

Re: Good Javascript book to go hand in hand with dojo?

heronote