Quantcast

Getting started with 2.0

bobmanc
How do you go about trying out the new 2.0 code? I know the code is on github but how do you get all the correct files, convert them from ts to js etc?
I was planning on using Intellij IDEA as my IDE.
Anything to get started would be appreciated.

Re: Getting started with 2.0

dylanks
Hi Bob,

We've just started on the process of writing tutorials and
documentation, with our goal being to having some of that in place in
time for the first beta release.

In the interim, there are a few things you can do to try things out:

1. You can start with dojo-cli which will install a stub for an application.
2. You can npm install any package dependency, following instructions
like that shown at https://github.com/dojo/widget-core#usage but for any
particular package. When you do this, each package is installed with
both .ts and .js (transpiled to ES5 by default)... it retains type
information so that you can still author TS code against these types.
3. You can install the dojo-examples repo to see our work.

Note that this week we're in the middle of a round of refactoring
(splitting widgets into widget-core for the foundational pieces and
widgets for the UI widgets), so there's a bit of instability in some
places as we work to update all of that.

Regarding development environment, IntelliJ does really well with
TypeScript out of the box,, so there's not much to do there with regards
to installation. Again, as part of the tutorials we'll plan to explain
our development environment and approach with a few different IDEs, etc.

To get involved in contributing to Dojo 2, the workflow is a bit
different... you fork and clone the relevant repos, and there's a grunt
dev tool chain that is used to test your contributions, etc.

We're also pretty close to having an initial proof of concept for dgrid
2 checked in.

Let us know if you have any questions or get stuck. You can also find
some of us on Gitter, https://gitter.im/dojo/dojo2