Quantcast

Get Reference To Store

George Sexton

I have some code:

later in the scripting, I'm trying to get a reference to the store.

E.G.

var store=dojo.byId('typeStore');

or

var store=dom.byId('typeStore');

The result of the byId() methods is null. I was using a reference from a dijit/form/Select, but the problem is that the query parameter in the select's data-dojo-props affects the underlying store.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.

Re: Get Reference To Store

Harry Devine
Would registry.byId be what you need?

Harry

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 19, 2016, at 5:15 PM, George Sexton <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have some code:

later in the scripting, I'm trying to get a reference to the store.

E.G.

var store=dojo.byId('typeStore');

or

var store=dom.byId('typeStore');

The result of the byId() methods is null. I was using a reference from a dijit/form/Select, but the problem is that the query parameter in the select's data-dojo-props affects the underlying store.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585
http://www.connectdaily.com

Re: Get Reference To Store

George Sexton

That doesn't work. I'm going to submit this as a bug.

https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/18867

On 7/19/2016 3:47 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
[...]

Nebulae
Store is directly available from the Window object, so depending on your scope, you should be able to access it directly with this.typeStore

Hope this helps,
Gurvan

Le 20 juil. 2016 à 19:59, George Sexton <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Stores are non-visual objects, so they’re not listed in the registry (not available from registry.byId() )

"One thing to be aware of, because there is no registry for these non-visual objects, and the reference is used in the global scope, garbage collection will not happen, even when the DOM node that "created" the object is no longer in memory. This could be perceived as a memory leak in a large application. You should ensure you remove this variables from the global scope when no longer needed."

(That’s why I’d rather create stores programmatically than declaratively, to keep a pointer on them for queries, destroy and so on …)

Le 20 juil. 2016 à 20:27, GzC-Labs - Gurvan GUEZENNEC <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

I think it would just be available via a global, e.g. window.typeStore.

See the notes at
https://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/tutorials/1.10/declarative/#non-widgets

on 7/20/16, 10:59 (GMT-07:00) George Sexton said the following:

> That doesn't work. I'm going to submit this as a bug.
>
> https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/18867
>

> On 7/19/2016 3:47 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>> Would registry.byId be what you need?
>>
>> Harry
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2016, at 5:15 PM, George Sexton <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have some code:

>>> data-dojo-props="data: [ a set of data]"></div>
>>>
>>> later in the scripting, I'm trying to get a reference to the store.
>>>
>>> E.G.
>>>
>>> var store=dojo.byId('typeStore');
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> var store=dom.byId('typeStore');
>>>
>>> The result of the byId() methods is null. I was using a reference
>>> from a dijit/form/Select, but the problem is that the query parameter
>>> in the select's data-dojo-props affects the underlying store.
>>>
>>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> George Sexton
>>> *MH Software, Inc.*
>>> Voice: 303 438 9585
>>> http://www.connectdaily.com
>>> --
>>> Dojo Toolkit: http://dojotoolkit.org/
>>> Tutorials: http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>

> George Sexton
> *MH Software, Inc.*
> Voice: 303 438 9585
> http://www.connectdaily.com

Re: Get Reference To Store

George Sexton

On 7/20/2016 12:35 PM, Dylan Schiemann wrote:
I think it would just be available via a global, e.g. window.typeStore.

See the notes at
https://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/tutorials/1.10/declarative/#non-widgets

That's just super non-intuitive. Unless you know this product deeply, you're going to spend hours (like I did) trying to figure out what the heck to do. These are the kinds of things that are just time killers for development...

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

dylanks
In general, declarative syntax for non-widgets is not a great idea, and
it's much more efficient to create them in JavaScript.

Making something a global is actually the most intuitive way to do
something, it's just not a pattern Dojo normally encourages.

I personally almost never do anything declaratively, because it
introduces all sorts of issues like this where you end up having to
expose globals.

Yes, it's not intuitive, but it's also not the encouraged pattern to
follow, but is there because some contributors wanted this as an option.
If I could go back in time, I would remove all declarative markup for
features except for widget constructors. :)

on 7/20/16, 13:16 (GMT-07:00) George Sexton said the following:

> On 7/20/2016 12:35 PM, Dylan Schiemann wrote:
>> I think it would just be available via a global, e.g. window.typeStore.
>>
>> See the notes at
>> https://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/tutorials/1.10/declarative/#non-widgets
>
> That's just super non-intuitive. Unless you know this product deeply,
> you're going to spend hours (like I did) trying to figure out what the
> heck to do. These are the kinds of things that are just time killers for
> development...
>

>> Regards,
>> -Dylan
>>
>> on 7/20/16, 10:59 (GMT-07:00) George Sexton said the following:
>>> That doesn't work. I'm going to submit this as a bug.
>>>
>>> https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/18867

>>> --
>>> George Sexton
>>> *MH Software, Inc.*
>>> Voice: 303 438 9585
>>> http://www.connectdaily.com
>>>

> --
> George Sexton
> *MH Software, Inc.*
> Voice: 303 438 9585
> http://www.connectdaily.com

Re: Get Reference To Store

George Sexton

On 7/20/2016 2:31 PM, Dylan Schiemann wrote:
In general, declarative syntax for non-widgets is not a great idea, and
it's much more efficient to create them in JavaScript.

Making something a global is actually the most intuitive way to do
something, it's just not a pattern Dojo normally encourages.

I personally almost never do anything declaratively, because it
introduces all sorts of issues like this where you end up having to
expose globals.

Yes, it's not intuitive, but it's also not the encouraged pattern to
follow, but is there because some contributors wanted this as an option.
If I could go back in time, I would remove all declarative markup for
features except for widget constructors. :)

It's a style thing. I prefer to write HTML code over javascript. Additionally, I have a library that encapsulates doing things like creating an HTML select, modifying nodes, etc. I vastly prefer to create my Dojo widgets on the server side because I use Java and it's strong type checking saves lots of defects.

The reason I used declarative structure on the store is because I'd like to be consistent between my HTML element creation and the store creation.

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sure, but there are things you cannot easily do anonymously, which is
what you need to be able to support for AMD. Basically any time you need
two declarative items to speak to each other, you need a global, or you
need a registry for every type of thing. Basically a registry was
created for the most common use case (widgets), but not for things like
validation rules or stores. The biggest challenge is, how do you
efficiently bind two items together without either item having a global
reference.

There are ways to achieve this that we'll perhaps see in Dojo 2, but for
1.x, it's unlikely to happen.