Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

comomolo

Hi,

I need to use 24-bit PNG images with transparency in Fisheye. There’s an issue with 24-bit PNG transparency  in Internet Explorer. There are a couple of well known solutions out there for images inside the HTML code. I’m currently using the PHP approach found here: http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/ but that approach doesn’t take care of the images used by Fisheye. (There’s a Javascript approach to the problem as well, but for some reason it doesn’t work fine with my website.) I must say I’m feeding Fisheye with images coming from a database.

What can I do to make Fisheye aware of the 24-bit transparency issue in Explorer? I’m willing to modify the original source code, but before I dig into it, it would be nice to know where exactly I should look.

Thanks for any help.

CM

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

iTorrey
Administrator
If the javascript version (by Erik Arvidsson) isn't working it's generally a path issue. Make sure that you are setting
the path relative to blank.gif as well as the htc include relative to root (/) and not relative to the directory each
file might be in.

A good thing to try is to hard code the paths to make sure it's all working and then figure out what the relative path
is from there.

BTW this isn't going to be an issue in IE7.. so in 6 years or so we'll no longer have to worry about this hack.

Como Molo wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I need to use 24-bit PNG images with transparency in Fisheye. There’s an
> issue with 24-bit PNG transparency  in Internet Explorer. There are a
> couple of well known solutions out there for images inside the HTML
> code. I’m currently using the PHP approach found here:
> http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/ but that approach doesn’t take
> care of the images used by Fisheye. (There’s a Javascript approach to
> the problem as well, but for some reason it doesn’t work fine with my
> website.) I must say I’m feeding Fisheye with images coming from a database.
>

> What can I do to make Fisheye aware of the 24-bit transparency issue in
> Explorer? I’m willing to modify the original source code, but before I
> dig into it, it would be nice to know where exactly I should look.
>

> Thanks for any help.
>

> CM

RE: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

comomolo
I had tried the Bob Osola fix (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/).

I'll try Erik Arvidsson's solution. I've found this:

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

is it the one you are referring to?

Is that solution supposed to fix the Fisheye behaviour without any further
hacking the dojo code?

Thanks!

CM

RE: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

Loubser Francois
Will any of these links help to make the fisheye work in IE 5.5? In IE 5.5 the fisheye doesn't display the images.

Thanks

I'll try Erik Arvidsson's solution. I've found this:

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

is it the one you are referring to?

Is that solution supposed to fix the Fisheye behaviour without any further
hacking the dojo code?

Thanks!

CM

Please click on the following link to read the
Old Mutual legal notice:
<http://www.oldmutual.co.za/e-mail_legal_notice>
Alternatively, send a "blank" e-mail to
<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

Jon Sykes
Not sure I agree with that.  With MS's annoucement that IE7 will be
added to the auto update push.  Considering that the article I read
said that something like 80% of XP users have that enabled (due
mainly to peoples awareness these days of virus's and worm's and MS's
efforts to thwart them), it'll potentially mean that within weeks of
release IE7 could be the majority browser on the web.

WHICH.... is potentially not a great thing (for the industry) as now
full support for IE7 will be needed right from day one.

Jon Sykes

On Aug 1, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Torrey Rice wrote:

> BTW this isn't going to be an issue in IE7.. so in 6 years or so
> we'll no longer have to worry about this hack.

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

Alex Russell
On Tuesday 01 August 2006 6:02 am, Jon Sykes wrote:
> Not sure I agree with that.  With MS's annoucement that IE7 will be
> added to the auto update push.  Considering that the article I read
> said that something like 80% of XP users have that enabled (due
> mainly to peoples awareness these days of virus's and worm's and MS's
> efforts to thwart them), it'll potentially mean that within weeks of
> release IE7 could be the majority browser on the web.
>
> WHICH.... is potentially not a great thing (for the industry) as now
> full support for IE7 will be needed right from day one.

Well, they won't be the only ones doing this to us (or, from my
perspective, for us). Firefox has had auto-update enabled since the
introduction of 1.5. The biggest difference I see between FF and IE on
this front is that IE is trying to make up for a half decade of neglect
in one release whereas FF 2.0 is (a lot of) incremental improvement.

Regards

--
Alex Russell
[hidden email]     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

iTorrey
Administrator
Yes the webfx one is the one I'm referring to. It should make the pngs work correctly without any other hacking on your
part.

Como Molo wrote:

> I had tried the Bob Osola fix (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/).
>
> I'll try Erik Arvidsson's solution. I've found this:
>
> http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html
>
> is it the one you are referring to?
>
> Is that solution supposed to fix the Fisheye behaviour without any further
> hacking the dojo code?
>
> Thanks!
>
> CM

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

iTorrey
Administrator
Not to hijack this thread but....

There is a tool out there by MS that blocks this auto update to IE7. A lot of businesses will use this. That means that
the best case for IE7 adoption (if you can call it a best case) is probably around 50% in the first year or so.

Though having to support this hack for 6 years might be an exaggeration, sadly 2 to 3 years is still likely and even
beyond that if you are working in government or education where some still require support for Netscape 4 (not even joking)

Jon Sykes wrote:

> Not sure I agree with that.  With MS's annoucement that IE7 will be
> added to the auto update push.  Considering that the article I read said
> that something like 80% of XP users have that enabled (due mainly to
> peoples awareness these days of virus's and worm's and MS's efforts to
> thwart them), it'll potentially mean that within weeks of release IE7
> could be the majority browser on the web.
>
> WHICH.... is potentially not a great thing (for the industry) as now
> full support for IE7 will be needed right from day one.
>

> Jon Sykes
>

> On Aug 1, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Torrey Rice wrote:
>
>> BTW this isn't going to be an issue in IE7.. so in 6 years or so we'll
>> no longer have to worry about this hack.

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

comomolo
Hi again,

Going back to the subject, I haven't been successful with any of the approaches I found on the internet and the advice from you guys. Fisheye refuses to display 24 bit PNGs on Internet Explorer 6.

The funny thing is I've dived a bit into the source code looking for the point where images are loaded and I can read the following (lines 660-661):

} else if((this.iconSrc.toLowerCase().substring(this.iconSrc.length-4)==".png")&&(dojo.render.html.ie)){this.imgNode.style.filter = "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='"+this.iconSrc+"', sizingMethod='scale')";

That suggests Fisheye is already doing the right thing and 24 bit PNGs should display properly on IE without any other help from the outside. But they don't.

Do the developers subscribe to this mailing list or is there a separate one for them? Anyone has got any clue of how can this be solved?

Regards,

CM

Torrey Rice wrote

Jon Sykes wrote:
> Not sure I agree with that.  With MS's annoucement that IE7 will be
> added to the auto update push.  Considering that the article I read said
> that something like 80% of XP users have that enabled (due mainly to
> peoples awareness these days of virus's and worm's and MS's efforts to
> thwart them), it'll potentially mean that within weeks of release IE7
> could be the majority browser on the web.
>
> WHICH.... is potentially not a great thing (for the industry) as now
> full support for IE7 will be needed right from day one.
>

> Jon Sykes
>

> On Aug 1, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Torrey Rice wrote:
>
>> BTW this isn't going to be an issue in IE7.. so in 6 years or so we'll
>> no longer have to worry about this hack.

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

James Burke
MSIE 6 does not support 24-bit PNGs correctly (at least for transparencies):

http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2003/06/09/a_png_review/

James

On 8/13/06, comomolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Going back to the subject, I haven't been successful with any of the
> approaches I found on the internet and the advice from you guys. Fisheye
> refuses to display 24 bit PNGs on Internet Explorer 6.
>
> The funny thing is I've dived a bit into the source code looking for the
> point where images are loaded and I can read the following (lines 660-661):
>

> } else
> if((this.iconSrc.toLowerCase().substring(this.iconSrc.length-4)==".png")&&(dojo.render.html.ie)){this.imgNode.style.filter
> =
> "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='"+this.iconSrc+"',
> sizingMethod='scale')";
>

> That suggests Fisheye is already doing the right thing and 24 bit PNGs
> should display properly on IE without any other help from the outside. But
> they don't.
>
> Do the developers subscribe to this mailing list or is there a separate one
> for them? Anyone has got any clue of how can this be solved?
>
> Regards,
>
> CM

Re: Fisheye and 24-bit PNGs

comomolo
Yeah, that's why all the hacks discussed in this thread exist. Using any of them I am able to display PNG images with transparency correctly in the rest of my page. All of them work fine except the ones inside the Fisheye list.

James Burke-3 wrote