Enhancement #11800 breaks common UI behavior

Enhancement #11800 breaks common UI behavior

Earl Hood
I am involved in a long-time project that has used Dojo for years.

We have recently noticed the following undesirable behavior: When using a
mouse click a DropDownButton that has a Menu associated with it, one cannot
use the arrow keys to highlight the menu items.

After some analysis, I noticed this changed occurred for Dojo 1.9 (and later
releases), and appears to be backported to a version of 1.8 (1.8.10 has same
behavior as later releases).  Using 1.7.5, the better (IMO) behavior occurs
where one can use the arrow keys as keyboard focus is switched to the menu
raised.

Examing the source, it appears the changes for ticket #11800,

  https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11800

is the culprit behind the behavior change.

Comparing with traditional applications, the behavior in 1.7 (and earlier)
is consistent: regardless if menu was raised by a mouse click or a keyboard
event, the keyboard can be used to navigate menu items.  The newer behavior
is not consistent with common practice.

Looking at the description of for #11800, I think the solution adopted goes
contrary to behavior intent.  First line of #11800 description:

  If you right click on a page in Firefox, you get a context menu where no
  item is highlighted. The arrow keys still work; hitting down arrow
  hightlights the first item...

Note that, "arrow keys still work."  With the code changes, they no longer
do so.  I think the original submitter was not asking for arrow key
selection to no longer work, just that there is no initial item highlight.

I am planning on submitting a new bug related this this, but I am wondering
if #11800 should be reopened instead?

Any guidance appreciated,

--ewh

Re: Enhancement #11800 breaks common UI behavior

Earl Hood
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:19 PM, I wrote:

> After some analysis, I noticed this changed occurred for Dojo 1.9 (and later
> releases), and appears to be backported to a version of 1.8 (1.8.10 has same
> behavior as later releases).  Using 1.7.5, the better (IMO) behavior occurs
> where one can use the arrow keys as keyboard focus is switched to the menu
> raised.
>
> Examing the source, it appears the changes for ticket #11800,
>
>   https://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/11800
>
> is the culprit behind the behavior change.

Another related behavior change that occured between 1.8.x and 1.9.x is
arrow key navigation does not work in 1.9 and later even if you hover mouse
over a menu item.  In versions 1.8 and prior, click to popup/dropdown menu,
move mouse over first item.  You can then use arrow keys move highlight to
other menu items.  In 1.9, this is no longer the case.

I have not been able to find the specific code changes between 1.8 and 1.9
that lead to this behavioral change.

This change a behavior goes contrary to normal GUI based applications.  For
example, in native GUI apps, arrow-key-based higlighting of a menu item will
always work, regardless of how the menu was raised or how a menu item was
highlighted (e.g. mouse hover).

--ewh