Dojo book and manual printer friendly

Soltís Ján
Well I do like to read things from a paper.

These days everyone is blogging and wiki rules the world. And every page has tons of menus and navidation on the left, on the right and even throughout the text. And the more chunked it is the better. And I'm really getting mad from trying to print out interesting things and read them when and where I want to.

I know how to print a selection, I have a "Remove selection" Firefox extension installed and I'm quite used to printer unfriendly pages. But then I wanted to print the Dojo book.

I even printed out first twenty pages. Seeing empty pages with just a few sentences on the top, my frustration reached the point I didn't even know of and made me to share my experience with you. I subscribed to the list, "thouht twice" before posting such a rant, read through the FAQ, searched list archives. Nothing helped.

I really wanted to read the book, the content looks really interesting and I appreciate the effort of all the dojo contributors. Before naming it the "Book" has anyone thought of people might want to print it?

Sorry for being rude, just couldn't resist.
Keep up the good work.

jan

Re: Dojo book and manual printer friendly

Alex Russell
On Friday 07 July 2006 10:49 am, Šoltís Ján wrote:

> Well I do like to read things from a paper.
>
> These days everyone is blogging and wiki rules the world. And every
> page has tons of menus and navidation on the left, on the right and
> even throughout the text. And the more chunked it is the better. And
> I'm really getting mad from trying to print out interesting things
> and read them when and where I want to.
>
> I know how to print a selection, I have a "Remove selection" Firefox
> extension installed and I'm quite used to printer unfriendly pages.
> But then I wanted to print the Dojo book.
>
> I even printed out first twenty pages. Seeing empty pages with just a
> few sentences on the top, my frustration reached the point I didn't
> even know of and made me to share my experience with you. I
> subscribed to the list, "thouht twice" before posting such a rant,
> read through the FAQ, searched list archives. Nothing helped.
>
> I really wanted to read the book, the content looks really
> interesting and I appreciate the effort of all the dojo contributors.
> Before naming it the "Book" has anyone thought of people might want
> to print it?
>
> Sorry for being rude, just couldn't resist.
> Keep up the good work.
Hi Jan,

We know it's an issue, and the backend format for everything in the wiki
is a neutral XHTML encoding. You can even see it if you add
"prettyXML=1" to the query string for a page. For example, if you log
into the wiki you can go to:

        http://dojo.jot.com/SMD?prettyXML=1

So it shouldn't be hard for us to make a simple documentation print view
that serializes everything down. If you'd like to help with that, let
me know.

Regards

--
Alex Russell
[hidden email]     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876

Re: Dojo book and manual printer friendly

heronote