Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

Ron M

Hi,

We have tried to start using Dojo 1.6.0rc1 and am having problems with script debugging in Firebug. We are basically only seeing files loaded through explicit script tags and not getting any files loaded through dojo.require. We are defining djConfig isDebug and debugAtAllCosts to true just as in previous releases.

The list of Dojo files that do show up in the Firebug Script drop-down are:

dojo/dojo

                _base.s

                dojo.js

dojo/_base/_loader

                bootstrap.js

                hostenv_browser.js

                loader.js

That's it though. It worked fine with Dojo 1.5.1rc1.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Ron

Re: Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

Karl Tiedt
First off, why are you using RC's and not the final releases? 1.6 is
available on http://downloads.dojotoolkit.org

Both work fine here... so its probably a local setup issue....

Re: Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

dylanks

Re: Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

Ron M
If 1.6 was released, then where was the announcement? The Dojo homepage
still says 1.5, and the latest blog entries say it is in beta. The
latest mention of a release on this mailing list was on 2/21 for rc1. I
did see the link on the download page, but didn't really trust it since
I did not see any mention of it. Is there some place else I should be
looking?

In any case, I now just spoke with my co-worker and he did download
1.6.0 after all. So the problem still remains. IE also has a similar
problem as it only lists a bunch of anonymous entries. Chrome works
fine.

But now I just switched from seeing "Show Static Scripts" (which used to
be enough) to "Show Static and eval Scripts" and it now works - in FF
that is. IE is still an issue, but I am less concerned about that.

Thanks again,
Ron

First off, why are you using RC's and not the final releases? 1.6 is
available on http://downloads.dojotoolkit.org

Both work fine here... so its probably a local setup issue....

Re: Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

Ron M
Thanks for clearing that up Dylan!

In my last email I said that it now works on FF if I include the display
of eval scripts - well, sort of... The call stack shows a bunch of
question marks rather than showing the actual function names. It was
working in 1.5.1rc1 (we are migrating from 1.3.2).

Would it work better if I change from using dojo.provide/require to the
new "define" syntax?

Re: Dojo 1.6.0rc1 not working well with Firebug

Peter Higgins
We are not recommending anyone use the AMD format for their modules
until full support is complete in 1.7. The current system is for early
adopters and the strong-willed. Feel free to hack on it, but we don't
"officially" support AMD (with our loader).

~phiggins

On 3/15/11 2:21 PM, Ron MacCracken wrote:

> Thanks for clearing that up Dylan!
>
> In my last email I said that it now works on FF if I include the display
> of eval scripts - well, sort of... The call stack shows a bunch of
> question marks rather than showing the actual function names. It was
> working in 1.5.1rc1 (we are migrating from 1.3.2).
>
> Would it work better if I change from using dojo.provide/require to the
> new "define" syntax?

Okay, so after trying a few different things, I still think there is
some problem with the new loading system. For completeness sake, I'm
using FF 3.6.9 and Firebug 1.6.2. In my html file I have the following:

        <script src="dojo/dojo/dojo.js" type="text/javascript"
data-dojo-config="parseOnLoad:true, debugAtAllCosts:true"></script>

When doing this, in the Script drop down (showing just static scripts)
all I get are the base Dojo files and nothing from dojo.require. If I
also show eval scripts, then I now get a bunch of listings that look
something like:

        bootstrap.js/eval: eval(scriptFragment...)= <text of file>

If I select such an entry then the text of the file is all shown in a
single line which makes debugging impossible. In IE 8, all of these
entries just appear as a bunch of "anonymous" entries in an Others
submenu.

In previous versions of Dojo I would always get the actual filename as
expected in both Firebug (just showing static scripts) and IE8, and the
actual text of the file.

If I then try Firefox 4.0b12 with Firebug 1.7X.0b3, I get basically the
same results, but the eval entries all look like:

        bootstrap.js/event/seq/<Number>

Again if just showing the static scripts all I get are the base Dojo
files. Using the search across multiple files I can find the file I am
looking for, but then looking at the text of the file it looks very
strange. The file's contents are sometimes rearranged (functions within
functions are moved to the top of the file) and any function inside a
dojo.declare loses its name, such as:

function () {
        this.inherited(arguments);

        if (this.defView.formData) {
                if (this.defView.bSelectHighlight) {
                        this.enableRefNodeSelection(this.bodyNode);
                }
                this.connect(this.defView.formData, "onSelect",
"onSelect");

Obviously these could be issues with Firefox or Firebug and not just
Dojo, but this basically makes Firefox and IE useless for script
debugging. Luckily Chrome still works, but I just need to get used to
their UI now.

So, is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Thanks,
Ron

We are not recommending anyone use the AMD format for their modules
until full support is complete in 1.7. The current system is for early
adopters and the strong-willed. Feel free to hack on it, but we don't
"officially" support AMD (with our loader).

~phiggins

On 3/15/11 2:21 PM, Ron MacCracken wrote:
> Thanks for clearing that up Dylan!
>
> In my last email I said that it now works on FF if I include the
display
> of eval scripts - well, sort of... The call stack shows a bunch of
> question marks rather than showing the actual function names. It was
> working in 1.5.1rc1 (we are migrating from 1.3.2).
>
> Would it work better if I change from using dojo.provide/require to
the

> new "define" syntax?

Kenneth G. Franqueiro
Yes.  This is due to a change that was apparently necessary for the AMD
loader to function (dojo/_base/_loader/hostenv_browser.js L491 in 1.6
final):

if(dojo.config.debugAtAllCosts){
        // this breaks the new AMD based module loader. The XDomain won't be
necessary
        // anyway if you switch to the asynchronous loader
        //dojo.config.useXDomain = true;
        //dojo.require("dojo._base._loader.loader_xd");
        dojo.require("dojo._base._loader.loader_debug");
        dojo.require("dojo.i18n");
}

This means that debugAtAllCosts no longer forces the xd loader, and
still uses XHR.

However, from what I've seen:
* you should be able to see your files normally in the script tab in
firebug if you DISABLE the "Decompile for eval() source" option.
* browsers' break-on-error functionality still tends to work, so if
you're tracing an error, you can turn that on and it should be able to
bring you to precisely where the error actually happens, even if the
error reported in console points to a useless nonexistent bootstrap line.

--Ken

On 3/18/2011 12:02 PM, Ron MacCracken wrote:

> Okay, so after trying a few different things, I still think there is
> some problem with the new loading system. For completeness sake, I'm
> using FF 3.6.9 and Firebug 1.6.2. In my html file I have the following:
>
> <script src="dojo/dojo/dojo.js" type="text/javascript"
> data-dojo-config="parseOnLoad:true, debugAtAllCosts:true"></script>
>
> When doing this, in the Script drop down (showing just static scripts)
> all I get are the base Dojo files and nothing from dojo.require. If I
> also show eval scripts, then I now get a bunch of listings that look
> something like:
>
> bootstrap.js/eval: eval(scriptFragment...)=<text of file>
>
> If I select such an entry then the text of the file is all shown in a
> single line which makes debugging impossible. In IE 8, all of these
> entries just appear as a bunch of "anonymous" entries in an Others
> submenu.
>
> In previous versions of Dojo I would always get the actual filename as
> expected in both Firebug (just showing static scripts) and IE8, and the
> actual text of the file.
>
> If I then try Firefox 4.0b12 with Firebug 1.7X.0b3, I get basically the
> same results, but the eval entries all look like:
>
> bootstrap.js/event/seq/<Number>
>
> Again if just showing the static scripts all I get are the base Dojo
> files. Using the search across multiple files I can find the file I am
> looking for, but then looking at the text of the file it looks very
> strange. The file's contents are sometimes rearranged (functions within
> functions are moved to the top of the file) and any function inside a
> dojo.declare loses its name, such as:
>
> function () {
> this.inherited(arguments);
>
> if (this.defView.formData) {
> if (this.defView.bSelectHighlight) {
> this.enableRefNodeSelection(this.bodyNode);
> }
> this.connect(this.defView.formData, "onSelect",
> "onSelect");
> }
> }
>
> Obviously these could be issues with Firefox or Firebug and not just
> Dojo, but this basically makes Firefox and IE useless for script
> debugging. Luckily Chrome still works, but I just need to get used to
> their UI now.
>
> So, is anyone else experiencing the same problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Okay, well unchecking the decompile for eval() source option does help
with listing the individual files. I knew that was working at some
point, but I thought I had tried changing it both ways.

So now I'm left with two somewhat less important, although annoying
issues:
1) the call stack shows lots of "?" instead of the real function names -
would this be a Firebug issue that was exposed by the new loader, or
will it not be possible for Firebug to fix it based on the way
dojo.declare works? In other words, can it be fixed and by who?

2) By having to select the "show eval scripts" option, firebug breaks on
errors in calls we make to eval even though we end up catching the
exceptions. I don't know if there is a way to ignore those, other than
by just showing static scripts only. This is not a Dojo issue though -
maybe it could become a Firebug option.

Anyways, I'm a bit happier now that I can see my individual files.

Thanks,
Ron