Quantcast

Controlling gifs in dojo

helios87654
Hi Dojo, I was wondering if there is a widget that would allow you to control animated gifs? Ie. stop/pause/start/rewind a gif. Does dojo have this capability? How difficult would it be to build this capability into dojo? Thanks,
Gregory Price

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

Jay Onda

Hey greg!
(from what i know) an animated gif cannot be controlled through an outside source.

You do however have a few options to "mimic" that effect by using flash or maybe a series of gifs 1 animated and a few still shot gifs to make it look like its paused.

-Jay

On 5/26/06, Gregory Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dojo, I was wondering if there is a widget that would allow you to control animated gifs? Ie. stop/pause/start/rewind a gif. Does dojo have this capability? How difficult would it be to build this capability into dojo? Thanks,
Gregory Price

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

Bill Keese-2
Try looking at the SlideShow widget also.

http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.html

Jay Onda wrote:

> Hey greg!
> (from what i know) an animated gif cannot be controlled through an
> outside source.
>
> You do however have a few options to "mimic" that effect by using flash
> or maybe a series of gifs 1 animated and a few still shot gifs to make
> it look like its paused.
>
> -Jay
>

> On 5/26/06, *Gregory Price* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Dojo, I was wondering if there is a widget that would allow you
>     to control animated gifs? Ie. stop/pause/start/rewind a gif. Does
>     dojo have this capability? How difficult would it be to build this
>     capability into dojo? Thanks,
>     Gregory Price

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

liucougar
you may be interested in this:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites

I think it would be nice if dojo provides a class to simplify the
creation of sprites (I do not know whether there exists any such
classes): such as concating a list of gifs into a single master gif
with customizable settings (such as the layout of the gifs in the
master one) and a class to represent a gif which can check whether the
gif is in a master gif, if so then use sprite technique)

I also plan to make use of sprites in the enhanced editor (this
technique is used in fckeditor 2.3 beta)

On 5/27/06, Bill Keese <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try looking at the SlideShow widget also.
>
> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.html
>
> Jay Onda wrote:
> >
> > Hey greg!
> > (from what i know) an animated gif cannot be controlled through an
> > outside source.
> >
> > You do however have a few options to "mimic" that effect by using flash
> > or maybe a series of gifs 1 animated and a few still shot gifs to make
> > it look like its paused.
> >
> > -Jay
> >

> > On 5/26/06, *Gregory Price* <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Dojo, I was wondering if there is a widget that would allow you
> >     to control animated gifs? Ie. stop/pause/start/rewind a gif. Does
> >     dojo have this capability? How difficult would it be to build this
> >     capability into dojo? Thanks,
> >     Gregory Price

- Old Chinese adage

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

Alex Russell
Please see Cal and Torrey's new AnimatedPng widget. It does what you
describe, but with correctly alpha-blended PNGs.

Regards

On Friday 26 May 2006 9:09 pm, LiuCougar wrote:

> you may be interested in this:
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites
>
> I think it would be nice if dojo provides a class to simplify the
> creation of sprites (I do not know whether there exists any such
> classes): such as concating a list of gifs into a single master gif
> with customizable settings (such as the layout of the gifs in the
> master one) and a class to represent a gif which can check whether
> the gif is in a master gif, if so then use sprite technique)
>
> I also plan to make use of sprites in the enhanced editor (this
> technique is used in fckeditor 2.3 beta)
>
> On 5/27/06, Bill Keese <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Try looking at the SlideShow widget also.
> >
> > http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.
> >html
> >
> > Jay Onda wrote:
> > > Hey greg!
> > > (from what i know) an animated gif cannot be controlled through
> > > an outside source.
> > >
> > > You do however have a few options to "mimic" that effect by using
> > > flash or maybe a series of gifs 1 animated and a few still shot
> > > gifs to make it look like its paused.
> > >
> > > -Jay
> > >

> > > On 5/26/06, *Gregory Price* <[hidden email]
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     Hi Dojo, I was wondering if there is a widget that would
> > > allow you to control animated gifs? Ie. stop/pause/start/rewind a
> > > gif. Does dojo have this capability? How difficult would it be to
> > > build this capability into dojo? Thanks,
> > >     Gregory Price

> > > http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32423&message
> > >ID=62853#62853
> > > <http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32423&messag
> > >eID=62853#62853>

Alex Russell
[hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

iTorrey
Administrator
Yeah I created some hacky code that animated a png in just this way and Cal took the idea further and created a great
widget with all kinds of logic to decide if your image is one long one or in rows and columns. Cal's also works much
more efficiently. :)

The one drawback here is that when animating you take quite a hit to the CPU. Putting a few on a page will result in a
total collapse of the universe. However another idea which I explored and actually does work quite well is to use Flash
to import the image and animate it. I took Cal's code and ported it over for use in Flash and it got the CPU usage down
to like 5-9% which is much more tolerable (when I got to most Flash heavy sites I see similar cpu usage)

I never did get around to finishing the flash code however you can view a demo at
http://itorrey.com/dojoDemos/animatedPng2/pngTest.html

and the actionscript
http://itorrey.com/dojoDemos/animatedPng2/pngTest.fla.as

The sample FLA I was using is also in that dir. You would of course take out all of the hard coded values and make them
part of the widget properties and communicate that to Flash over the JS/Flash bridge. Also you'd have to play around
with the stage size. One way might be to just set the stage size in markup to 100% of the container and make its
container the same size as the image. Don't know how well that would work though.

Torrey

Alex Russell wrote:

> Please see Cal and Torrey's new AnimatedPng widget. It does what you
> describe, but with correctly alpha-blended PNGs.
>
> Regards
>
> On Friday 26 May 2006 9:09 pm, LiuCougar wrote:
>> you may be interested in this:
>> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites
>>
>> I think it would be nice if dojo provides a class to simplify the
>> creation of sprites (I do not know whether there exists any such
>> classes): such as concating a list of gifs into a single master gif
>> with customizable settings (such as the layout of the gifs in the
>> master one) and a class to represent a gif which can check whether
>> the gif is in a master gif, if so then use sprite technique)
>>
>> I also plan to make use of sprites in the enhanced editor (this
>> technique is used in fckeditor 2.3 beta)
>>
>> On 5/27/06, Bill Keese <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Try looking at the SlideShow widget also.
>>>
>>> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.
>>> html

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

liucougar
ah, thanks for the direction

AnimatedPng is probably what Bill Keese is after. However, in the
toolbar, I do not think I need anything "animation", so I still have
to write a new class to handle this, or don't I?

On 5/27/06, Alex Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please see Cal and Torrey's new AnimatedPng widget. It does what you
> describe, but with correctly alpha-blended PNGs.
>
> Regards
>
> On Friday 26 May 2006 9:09 pm, LiuCougar wrote:
> > you may be interested in this:
> > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites
> >
> > I think it would be nice if dojo provides a class to simplify the
> > creation of sprites (I do not know whether there exists any such
> > classes): such as concating a list of gifs into a single master gif
> > with customizable settings (such as the layout of the gifs in the
> > master one) and a class to represent a gif which can check whether
> > the gif is in a master gif, if so then use sprite technique)
> >
> > I also plan to make use of sprites in the enhanced editor (this
> > technique is used in fckeditor 2.3 beta)
> >
> > On 5/27/06, Bill Keese <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Try looking at the SlideShow widget also.
> > >
> > > http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.
> > >html

> Alex Russell
> [hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

- Old Chinese adage

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

iTorrey
Administrator
You don't have to animate it, you can set it to only animate once after click or something along those lines right?

LiuCougar wrote:

> ah, thanks for the direction
>
> AnimatedPng is probably what Bill Keese is after. However, in the
> toolbar, I do not think I need anything "animation", so I still have
> to write a new class to handle this, or don't I?
>
> On 5/27/06, Alex Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please see Cal and Torrey's new AnimatedPng widget. It does what you
>> describe, but with correctly alpha-blended PNGs.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Friday 26 May 2006 9:09 pm, LiuCougar wrote:
>> > you may be interested in this:
>> > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites
>> >
>> > I think it would be nice if dojo provides a class to simplify the
>> > creation of sprites (I do not know whether there exists any such
>> > classes): such as concating a list of gifs into a single master gif
>> > with customizable settings (such as the layout of the gifs in the
>> > master one) and a class to represent a gif which can check whether
>> > the gif is in a master gif, if so then use sprite technique)
>> >
>> > I also plan to make use of sprites in the enhanced editor (this
>> > technique is used in fckeditor 2.3 beta)

>> --
>> Alex Russell
>> [hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

liucougar
in the case of editor toolbar, each gif in the master gif is only
meant to be used as individual icon. The only use of this technique in
this case is to speed up the loading of all the otherwise small gifs.

Each button in the toolbar will use a gif in the master gif, and
abosutely no animation is required

I hope I made myself clear.

On 5/27/06, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You don't have to animate it, you can set it to only animate once after click or something along those lines right?
>
> LiuCougar wrote:
> > ah, thanks for the direction
> >
> > AnimatedPng is probably what Bill Keese is after. However, in the
> > toolbar, I do not think I need anything "animation", so I still have
> > to write a new class to handle this, or don't I?
> >
> > On 5/27/06, Alex Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Please see Cal and Torrey's new AnimatedPng widget. It does what you
> >> describe, but with correctly alpha-blended PNGs.
> >>
> >> Regards

> >> --
> >> Alex Russell
> >> [hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

- Old Chinese adage

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

iTorrey
Administrator
Got it. Sorry bout that, I was thinking you were referring to the original message and hadn't caught that there was
another discussion started about sprites here.

LiuCougar wrote:

> in the case of editor toolbar, each gif in the master gif is only
> meant to be used as individual icon. The only use of this technique in
> this case is to speed up the loading of all the otherwise small gifs.
>
> Each button in the toolbar will use a gif in the master gif, and
> abosutely no animation is required
>
> I hope I made myself clear.
>
> On 5/27/06, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You don't have to animate it, you can set it to only animate once
>> after click or something along those lines right?
>>
>> LiuCougar wrote:
>> > ah, thanks for the direction
>> >
>> > AnimatedPng is probably what Bill Keese is after. However, in the
>> > toolbar, I do not think I need anything "animation", so I still have
>> > to write a new class to handle this, or don't I?

>> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.

>> using

>> <[hidden email]

>> stop/pause/start/rewind a
>> be to

>> http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32423&message
>> >> > > >
>> <http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32423&messag

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

liucougar
of course, your code will provide a solid base for what I want ;)

On 5/27/06, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got it. Sorry bout that, I was thinking you were referring to the original message and hadn't caught that there was
> another discussion started about sprites here.
>
> LiuCougar wrote:
> > in the case of editor toolbar, each gif in the master gif is only
> > meant to be used as individual icon. The only use of this technique in
> > this case is to speed up the loading of all the otherwise small gifs.
> >
> > Each button in the toolbar will use a gif in the master gif, and
> > abosutely no animation is required
> >
> > I hope I made myself clear.
> >
> > On 5/27/06, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> You don't have to animate it, you can set it to only animate once
> >> after click or something along those lines right?

> >> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_SlideShow.

> >> using

> >> <[hidden email]

> >> stop/pause/start/rewind a
> >> be to

> >> http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32423&message
> >> >> > > >
> >> <http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=32423&messag

- Old Chinese adage

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

Alex Russell
Ugg.

No, this is absolutely the wrong way to handle this. Have a look at how
toolbar icons are set up in Editor2. All of the icons are tiled into a
single image which is used as a background with varying offsets based
on CSS rules. This is *significantly* faster than any of the other
solutions we tested for quickly instantiating the toolbar.

Regards

On Saturday 27 May 2006 12:40 pm, LiuCougar wrote:

> in the case of editor toolbar, each gif in the master gif is only
> meant to be used as individual icon. The only use of this technique
> in this case is to speed up the loading of all the otherwise small
> gifs.
>
> Each button in the toolbar will use a gif in the master gif, and
> abosutely no animation is required
>
> I hope I made myself clear.
>
> On 5/27/06, Torrey Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You don't have to animate it, you can set it to only animate once
> > after click or something along those lines right?
> >
> > LiuCougar wrote:
> > > ah, thanks for the direction
> > >
> > > AnimatedPng is probably what Bill Keese is after. However, in the
> > > toolbar, I do not think I need anything "animation", so I still
> > > have to write a new class to handle this, or don't I?

Alex Russell
[hidden email] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

Re: Controlling gifs in dojo

liucougar
oops, did not know it is already used in editor2 toolbar

however, what I was intended to do in the new editor is exactly as
what is done in editor2 toolbar

the "master gif" i mentioned is the "a signel image" in you reply ;)